OBD2 Reader.

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
aryan57
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

OBD2 Reader.

Post by aryan57 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Can anyone who understands these things give a recommendation for a good OBD2 reader, please. I am taking on a 2000 year car from 1st February which is OBD2 compliant. Preferably the cheapest one that still does the job.
1992 820SI saloon.

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: OBD2 Reader.

Post by CHR15E » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am

The one I have is just a cheap ebay job. About £15 I think, it scans most cars of that era and will reset management codes.

Looks exactly like this one, though it seems to say for 2001 only. :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OBD- ... SwfcVUKY7a

You can get ones with a lot more info on them but haven't used one myself. On mine it gives you the code and nothing else. You then have to google the code to find out it's meaning.

A trivial thing but be aware you can't reset the service light on a V70 by one of these. Only the dealer type setups can do it. Forget the name of it now. It goes off after about 2 minutes anyway if it's showing. Any that I had with it on I just ignored it.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: OBD2 Reader.

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:43 pm

This is another option that you can (i believe) leave connected while driving. It sends the data via Bluetooth to your smartphone and there are a variety of apps (some with listings of the DTCs) to use with it so you can see what's happening as you drive - useful if you have an intermittent fault and need to know what's happening as/just before the fault occurs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-ELM327-O ... SwHQ9WXDhH

Both systems have their merits, your choice at the end of the day.

I think the 2001 thing is when cars must comply with OBD II although many were OBD II compliant before that.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!