She's alive!

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
guru
Site Admin

She's alive!

Post by guru » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Around 4 years ago I took the decision to put my Sterling into storage as I lacked the space to have it kicking around and with crazy fuel prices using it as my daily driver was becoming an expensive hobby. Anyway I've just moved house and now have a large double garage (as well as a couple of stable blocks!) so it's time for the old girl to come home. :D
There is a slight problem though, my brother garage which has been its home for the last 4 years has a very tight turn outside it which means getting a trailer and winch in would be impossible so the only option is for her to come out under her own steam. It's not my first choice, I would have liked to drain and replace the fluids at the very least before firing her up however I don't have time for that so I need to take her to my mechanics get the recommissioning done.

With that in mind I headed down to my brothers to see if she would start. Having sat for so long I hooked up the jumper pack and disconnected the HT lead just so I could spin the engine over before starting properly. She span freely and sounded normal so with some trepidation I reconnected the HT lead and went to try for a full start. To say I was shocked would be an understatement because after 4 years of lying dormant she started on the first flick of the key and after a couple of splutters ran perfectly! I then tried moving her and with a little clunk from the brakes she moved without a problem :D :D :D :D I didn't run her for long because I want the belts and fluids changed before using her properly

Now that I know she starts I'll head back down there next week with the trailer and take her to my mechanic and then once she's got an MOT it'll be off to the bodyshop for a very extensive make over.

The road to recovery has finally started!
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
1991 Rover Sterling mk1c (taking a break)
2015 Mercedes C300 Hybrid
2015 Mini Cooper SD

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: She's alive!

Post by dollysprint » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Well done James, always a worry when a car sits and months suddenly turn into years. Just recommissioned a Coupe that hadn't seen a road in 11 years, saturday will see her first long trip (longbridge).
Went over her with a fine toothed combe, main issues were cooling system and electrics.Oh and brakes and she wouldn't run properly, oh and all the belts were shot.
Purrs like a kitten now though.
How long do you think in the body shop?

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:23 pm

Not too sure yet, the biggest problem is the rust around the sunroof which could take a little bit to sort out. It'll also need a full respray so I suspect it won't be a quick (or cheap!) job.
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
1991 Rover Sterling mk1c (taking a break)
2015 Mercedes C300 Hybrid
2015 Mini Cooper SD

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:35 pm

It's an 827 James - of course it started! :wink: :D

I have a shell that i'll be disposing of in the near (ish) future, the roof panel is good. It might be just as easy for your body shop to weld on a replacement roof section. It's a Mk2 saloon, not sure what yours is but i'm sure there are ways and means of joining the right bits where necessary.
Let me know if it's any use?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

mjc9967
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:44 am

Hmmm, roof panel work - headlining out then?

If it's not sagging already, it might well do after it has been disturbed for the work. Might be worth starting to think about now rather than later?

Hope the refurb goes well.
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k