Hibernation time

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Roadwork
Regular Visitor

Hibernation time

Post by Roadwork » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:08 pm

Good evening Chaps

Firstly, and I'm aware that this is probably exactly the same way that I opened my correspondence last time I chimed in, sorry for my somewhat sporadic visits! I'm not on here often because, well, I rarely have anything interesting to say. I have been posting a fair few of my Rover shenanigans on Autoshite, though.

Oh, and the story of my fitting Mission home Hifi speakers into the factory locations on my 825 here on Hooniverse, to replace the knackered original items. It's a stealthy install, though.

I just wanted to drop by and celebrate that 2016 has been another eventless year of 825si ownership, I've been cruising merily along with the new rear ashtray and boot release switch provided by Scoobyh123 of this parish, and joyously made a trip from Essex to Newcastle and back for a wedding - the car managed 34mpg overall, which I was pleased with.

I have a new job now and work from home, so my annual mileage has dropped hugely. Next year I can look at an agreed mileage insurance policy I'm sure, and the Rover will get to work even less hard for its living. Just last week I put it away for the winter, battery disconnected, I'll check on it from time to time but it won't be driven now until the salt has faded from the roads. I'm Audi-bound for the Winter, not as enjoyable but I hate getting road grit on the 825.

Cheers for now,

Chris in Essex

1997 825Si Manual (for best)
1998 A4 1.8t (daily driver)

My Writing Hobby:- http://www.hooniverse.com

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hibernation time

Post by Charles827si » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:43 am

Hello and Welcome back, I remember your distinctive username and profile picture - very apt, especially for the amount of roadworks in West Yorkshire. :!:

I read about the creative use for those speakers; I have a pair of Mission home Hifi speakers laying about in storage; so this might be a good use for them when I need to find a use for these speakers!

Front wheel drive A4; safe bet for the winter and either that or Quattro is useful in the white stuff compared to a rear wheel drive BMW - saw many of those stuck/stranded last winter up north. My Mk1 800 performs (or did perform) well in the snow and my Mk2. (but then they rust quick!)
I have learnt to avoid hills in bad snow/icy conditions, particularly after a scary experience in my newish Hyundai I10.. :idea:
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

Roadwork
Regular Visitor

Re: Hibernation time

Post by Roadwork » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:45 am

Thank you, Charles!
Charles827si wrote: I have a pair of Mission home Hifi speakers laying about in storage; so this might be a good use for them when I need to find a use for these speakers!
I wouldn't necessarily suggest breaking up a good working pair! Some of the older Missions are absolute classics! I had this set as a source of spare parts for my living room speakers; the ones I used in the Rover were leftover bits.
Charles827si wrote: Front wheel drive A4; safe bet for the winter and either that or Quattro is useful in the white stuff compared to a rear wheel drive BMW
Mine's an FWD one and it's not actually as good as the Rover in the snow (wide tyres). It's galvanised, though, and less likely to turn to orange dust by springtime, even though it's only six months younger than the 825!

Chris
1997 825Si Manual (for best)
1998 A4 1.8t (daily driver)

My Writing Hobby:- http://www.hooniverse.com

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable