Night Driving.

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Night Driving.

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:48 pm

Slamm wrote:I must admit having just had a new windscreen fitted (eventually) the difference is very noticeable, especially in poor weather and the dark.
I would be inclined to agree with Dave about polishing and maybe getting distortion though.
How much is your windscreen excess, might not be much more for a new screen than messing with polishers

Shaun
A half-decent DA polisher is going to cost more than most windscreen excesses Shaun. My excess is £60 and i paid £77 for a copy of a Kestrel D710 i think it is from Germany, a very good copy apparently but the original Kestrels are over £100 - then you've got all the faffing about doing the polishing and the risk of it not working.

Think i'd clean the inside of the screen first, if that doesn't cure it, get an automatic centre punch and a new screen! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by zcar12 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:50 am

When it comes to cleaning the windscreen, I have spent many hours on this, inside and out. I have tried, in no particular order.: white spirit, cellulose thinners, vinegar, paraffin, methilated spirit, chrome polish, Brasso, glass cleaners, in fact so many that I must have forgotten some. So the screen is very clean. But this cant make up for the fact that there are many tiny pits in the glass that scatter the light. Not surprising after 25 years on the road. My windscreen excess is £75. I have a variable speed rotary polisher so I cant lose much by trying a glass kit. If that does not work, the screen may have a sudden accident one night!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Good luck with the polishing kit then Nick, i was just trying to eliminate the obvious (screen dirty inside) before getting to the expensive (new screen) but as you've already done that the next step is sh!t or bust with the polishing kit.

Let us know how you get on with it, like i mentioned before i was thinking of doing the screen on my coupé but have been put off by the various horror stories. If it all goes pear-shaped (particularly when you're looking at an orange through the screen :lol: ) then one of these might come in handy :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-125mm-AUTOM ... SwVFlT3g38

Perfect to replicate a stone-chip type damage which believe it or not can even happen without the car moving. One vehicle i used to own, i was sat inside doing something and i heard a crack. A bird had flown over and dropped a stone that hit the screen resulting in a stone-chip and crack in the top left corner. The sun visor was down at the time of the MoT so it went undetected by some kind of serendipity - gone now though so not my problem anymore but it's easy done! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by zcar12 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:53 pm

I have now had the chance to evaluate the amber tinted type sunglasses , after trying grey and also the blue polarized types. The amber tinted glasses seem to work very well at cutting glare without reducing visibility unduly and even give the sensation of enhancing vision. The experts say this is all psychological and who am I to argue with that? Given the **** up that the experts have made of the world, I do wonder how expert experts really are. I now use them all the time at night.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks Nick - not only for the review of the glasses but also for confirming my opinion they improve your vision. Yes the "experts" say it's psychological but if everyone experiences the same thing surely there must be something in it? I deliberately didn't mention this originally as i was interested to see if this would come up.

As someone said a long time ago :

Expert - "Ex" is an unknown quantity or a has-been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

Any chance you can add a link to the amber ones you got in the end Nick or are they the same as the ones i linked to further up?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:55 pm

Sure thing Dave, here is a link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Night-Driving ... 2030253576

There is a wide choice available and they seem to go from £1.99 upwards, it depends how much you wish to spend. (or how little) Amber tinted are certainly worth the try if you are unduly troubled by glare.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks Nick - in the interest of trying a different pair i'm going to order a set of these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231778751576

I had a bad experience of some with plastic frames some years back so going to give the metal ones a go. Hopefully they'll last longer! :lol: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Those metal framed glasses look like a good choice Dave. They should last a long time, until that is, the day you put them down somewhere and proceed to sit/step on them!