Should we form a "proper" club?

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

MikeMedford
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MikeMedford » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:40 am

schuwolf wrote:Perhaps the forum should stay as is, and a seperate Club forum set up
There's another issue, if the club was formed and had a seperate forum then I can see problems with members being divided even more.

What would meets involve then? Members from the "Official" club attending with "Rover800.info" members attending as a seperate entity?

I thought the whole idea of forming a club was to create a bit more unity and to help promote this site as well, if it's going to just create competition to this site and division of members then it seems rather pointless.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:22 am

CHR15E wrote:He had a fall out with the powers that be over expenses towards doing the job. :roll:

The president of the club thought that the volunteers should do it for the love of the brand/club.

My dad told them where to go. :lol:
Your dad was spot on - no club member should be out of pocket for club work. If it can't be funded by the club then it shouldn't be done.

I know that the RSR pay a fortune to have their magazine printed but they insist on doing everything by old fashioned postal methods and printing it on glossy paper. I voluntered articles for it but they had to be sent on paper as the magazine editor didn't have internet access and email facilities!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:05 pm

MikeMedford wrote:
schuwolf wrote:Perhaps the forum should stay as is, and a seperate Club forum set up
There's another issue, if the club was formed and had a seperate forum then I can see problems with members being divided even more.

What would meets involve then? Members from the "Official" club attending with "Rover800.info" members attending as a seperate entity?

I thought the whole idea of forming a club was to create a bit more unity and to help promote this site as well, if it's going to just create competition to this site and division of members then it seems rather pointless.
Quite true, was only a suggestion, not a good one, :roll: so ignore it
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Richard C
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Richard C » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:13 pm

All views are valid Brian 8)
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

TDHFastback

Gs

Post by TDHFastback » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Why not call ourselves a club with associated merchandise but use the forum as the club magazine. The BMW GS motorcycle club is purely forum based but they have stickers caps etc.

We all like sexy merchandise advertising our interests to the world :wink:

Happy to organise that side of things and have already designed a sticker.

Have just seen all the chat about the title "Rover 800 owners club" and think we should claim this as our own. Especially if the other forum is dying and useless.

Just realised that this smilie :P is a raspberry. Thought it was a girly one with lippy. Whoops :oops:

Kate :P

Richard C
Site Admin

Re: Gs

Post by Richard C » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:31 pm

TDHFastback wrote:
Just realised that this smilie :P is a raspberry. Thought it was a girly one with lippy. Whoops :oops:

Kate :P
Now thats funny! 8) :lol: sorry but that raised a chuckle.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

MikeMedford
Rover Guru

Re: Gs

Post by MikeMedford » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:32 pm

schuwolf wrote: Quite true, was only a suggestion, not a good one, :roll: so ignore it
Not having a dig at your suggestion mate, it was also in response to Richard's post about keeping the club and forum seperate.
TDHFastback wrote:Why not call ourselves a club with associated merchandise but use the forum as the club magazine. The BMW GS motorcycle club is purely forum based but they have stickers caps etc.

We all like sexy merchandise advertising our interests to the world :wink:

Happy to organise that side of things and have already designed a sticker.
This is what I had thought, I don't see the point of over complicating things.

Forum itself doesn't have to change at all (apart from a description edit at top).

I don't think anyone from here really needs a massive newsletter as such, I thought something along the lines of a mass mail sent out bi-annually listing all upcoming events etc would be enough?

Obviously that would depends on what others think though.

Membership fee would be another thing, me personally would leave the forum side alone except for possibly 1 extra section (if members) which would possibly hold exclusive deals for "club members" for things like insurance etc if something was sorted.

Membership fees can be used towards running of the site, regalia for meets or for maybe bulk buys if parts etc become available at a good price which could then be sold via the site for minimal profits to regain money back and go back into the club kitty.

Stuff like stickers, t-shirts etc don't necessarily have to be huge problems either, if we find a decent supplier of these items we can make an initial order of however many we need, and they can keep the logos/designs on record for if and when we require more stock, which could be ordered as and when needed.

Members of the forum wether paying club members or not should be allowed to buy the merchandise as afterall it's free advertiseing for us ;)

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:22 pm

True Mike, but I take your points in your earlier post. Very valid!

The Bi-monthly News Letter you suggest is, I think, probably the best way. At least Members can see all the meets and decide on which/where to go. The forum is immediate, so to speak, but posts, re meets or shows, can be forgotten, so an email newsletter brings everything back to mind.

Regalia is an easy one with the firm I've used in the past. Order what ever the forum/club members require and re-order as required.

I agree with the fees, use for whatever the Club deems essential. Any profit from the sale of regalia goes back to the club kitty.
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:32 pm

A short while after we set up the Metro Owners Club, we found we were getting members who were either not computer savvy, or did'nt go online at all.

We now have a growing number of members who have a hard copy of an online newsletter put together by the comittee several times a year.

This is something the organisers will have to take into account once interest is shown by non net owners should the conversion to club status go ahead.

The Metro Club also has a set up where intitially parts and cars for sale by members is listed in the members only section first, and then after a set period is then transfered to the open forum sales/wants section. (this includes ebay links.)

Although I don't think this particular set up will be required here should the majority vote for a club.

If a club is formed, then the subject of public liability insurance will need to be addressed with regards to club stands.
This is a first stage requirement by many major shows, and only paid up members would be allowed to show there car on an official club stand.

This proved to be a point of contention initially, but was eventually accepted by non club members on the forum.

Just a few things for peeps to think about.

Mal.

Mal.

The Flying Dutchman
Rover Guru

Post by The Flying Dutchman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Two different prices for the regalia might be a solution.
Member and non member pricing. So everyone can decide for themselves if they want to be full proof member or not.
Job.

'73 P5B Sal.
'94 220 Coupe
'96 220 Coupe
'95 827 Coupe
'97 820Si
'99 600SDi Classic
'69 Herald 12/50

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:54 am

I looked at the survey and so far 100 people have submitted their thoughts and ideas.

To allow everyone a fair chance to submit it will be available for 1 more week. I will then close it and let everyone see the results, hopefully this will be by the 30th-31st August.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

TDHFastback

survey

Post by TDHFastback » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:33 pm

nice one Simon.

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Richard Moss wrote:I think that the forum may be best kept as a separate entity, rather than being part of the owners club. It works well as it is and it would be a shame to mess it about.

Just my 2p worth.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Thats just my view though.
Glyn
Image Image

SJG
Site Admin

Survey Results

Post by SJG » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:19 pm

So here are the results of the survey and I have included all the additional comments. There were 109 responses, about the amount of regular visitors that Richard estimated.

It was quite difficult getting the results in a format that could be viewed on the site, I have looked through it and I do not think I have missed out any comments.

I think you will agree there some very interesting comments, I have not edited any of them.

Thank you for taking part.

I have not made any further analysis of the results or comments so everyone can look and say what they think.

Let the discussion continue.......................

Q1 Additonal comments

• Many of us are in other related clubs,this could dilute effort
• This is from an overseas members point of view, ie not UK based.
• Both!! turn what we already have into a recognised club
• do we have enough people to form a full on club ?
• Most R800 owners will not be well off. Diesel owners thrifty, petrol owners posers.
• But kept informal, with the forum separate from the club.
• I have no problems with an organised club, but what are the advantages?
• Also keep Forum
• Also keep the forum as is with the possible addition of a 'Members Area'. We should ensure owners of 800s are welcome without the need to become members of the Club
• format is good and easy to use
• I was a member of the Rover Owners Club - CHECK http://www.rovermart.co.uk/clubs.html
• rover 800 and rover 600 club
• I've clicked on yes, as I have no objections to the idea of a club, although I don't fully understand by whom we would be recognised, if that makes sense...
• keep things as they are, all too often a recognised club/organisation loses its friendly atmosphere that we all enjoy at the moment.
• but perhaps with a few additions
• I'm in Australia,probably doesn't matter to me if a club forms or not,I think it's a good idea if a club does form.
• This could lead to benefits from parts suppliers ?
• I'm new to the forum & not particularly PC minded so find forums a bit tough to follow.
• Cheaper car insurance
• Keep it simple, in a way Rover800.info is a club already
• clubs are too much trouble.
• Not fussed either way.
• I've been involved with a couple of rover clubs at committee level and always find them a political nightmare, best to stay the way we are.
• In theory a club is a good idea but I wonder if we have the man power to cope with the work involved?
• Why change a winning formula! if people want a club then let them form one, but leave the forum alone!
• There are few 800s left and perhaps help each of the remaing owners
• Keeping to the current format though - the term 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' comes to mind?
• perhaps if we all jumped to a club the original site should have an immediate link on every page
• Have a official committee & constitution, help source parts & try to get sponsorship from an insurance company
• There must be enough of us out there who have a need for one.
• Having thought about this carefully I feel we should keep things as they are but recognise the "wants" of current forum members and try to accomodate and introduce them through the existing set-up.
• as long as it actually stays similar to how it is now id agree in full. including meets ect!! the orginal active members who are here now should be recognised as that somehow to??? Ie special sticker avaliable only to us????
• Wee _NEED_ more people to preserve these cars. Advertisement of some sort, say a running sale on Ebay for club membership if possible??
• These rovers are getting rare,and they definately deserve the respect of Rthere own club
• We must preserve these superb motors

Q2 Response Text

• Rover 800 Owners Club.
• Rover 800 owners club
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• Rover 800 owners Club
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• Rover 800 club
• R800 Viking Club?
• THE 800 CLUB
• Rover 800 owners club
• Club 800
• Rover 800 Club Europe
• Rover 800 qwners club
• rover 800 club
• Rover 800 Owner's Group
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• Rover800Register
• the name we have is perferctly suitbale as it is
• as it is thats good
• ROVER SERIES 8 CLUB..
• Rover 800 club?
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• The Rover 800 Owners Club
• rover 800 owners club
• Rover 800 Enthusiasts Club
• Rover 800 Club
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• Rovers not over club
• Veteran Rover 800 Club
• rover 800 and rover 600 ultimate rover machines
• The 800 Club or The Rover 800 Fan Club something like that
• 800 Owners Club?
DCCC? (Roman numerals for 800)
SPRINT? (Society for the Promotion of Rovers Into National Treasures)
• Society Of Rover Eighthundred Enthusiasts (hang on, that spells SOREE..). Maybe something with an XX motif, (club magazine could be XXExtra) or just go traditional (Rover 800 Owners Club/Society, Rover 800 Enthusiasts).
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• Rover 800 Club
• Rover 800 Owners Club.
• Rover 800 Owners Club.
• Association of Rover 800 Owners
• no idea, sorry
• Rover 800 supporters and owners club
• Rover 800 Club
• Rover 800 enthusiasts club
• R8OC
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• Rover 800 Series Owners Club
• 800 Club, with "Official" lumped in at the front....
• The Rover 800 Owners club
• I'm not an Owner, but are merely using the site to try and find specific parts for a non Rover project. As such its fit for my needs as is...
• Rover 800 owners club
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• rover 800 club
• Rover 800 Owners Club and Forum
• This site IS the club IMO, i Think maybe the name can change.
• Rover 800 Owners' Club
• Rover 800 owners Club
• Rover 800 Club
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• It would have to include ROVER 800,but I cant think of anything catchy myself,if thats what you want? Sorry.
• Best of British
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• Rover800OwnersClub?
• Rover 800 Owners Club (R8OC)
• rover 800 club of great britain
• ROVER.800.820.827 CLUB
• Will, it be for only 800's or will the club, go silly and expand, watering down the status it now has.
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• not sure
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• ROVER 800 CLUB
• Rover 800 enthusiasts club, or something similar.
• Rover 800 Owners Club
• Rover 800 enthusiast's club
• Rover 800 owners club

Q3 Membership fee

• £10
• £10
• £25
• £5-8
• £10
• £15.00
• £5.00
• £12 or £36 if a monthly mag
• ???
• £5-10 perhaps, there's a lot of us with not a lot of funds!
• 10 GBP, but basic functions like the forum should be free
• £12
• £5-£10
• £5
• £5.00 per annum.
• £10-£15 per year
• £25
• £25
• £10 - £15 pa
• £10
• £10
• £15
• £10.00
• £10-£20
• 20 more if magazine produced as well
• Would probably have to be around £20 annually, maybe a reducation if email newsletter is selected
• £10 per annum
• £5
• For overseas members like me,not much.
• £1 if numbers of owners would cover admin costs
• best things in life are free
• £25.00/£30.00
• £10
• Initial £15 per year with quarterly Mag
• £20
• £15 - £25
• Hard to say depends what's in the package of being a member?
• £10. pa
• £20
• Around the £5 per year mark would sound fair - after all, this is the average amount that members voluntarily donate.
• advertising space and links is best
• £20
• It depends what the club has on offer.I paid Rovertorque £15 , and got nothing at all in return,so if i feel that I am part of something worthwhile,it has got to be worth a bit more.
• £10
• £5 Per Year
• £5
• £15
• £15
• £20.00
• 5.00 per year, paypal link to pay, is a must
• £5 a year
• 15.00 a year
• £7.50 year? Poss upto £15.00?
• £10.00
• £10
• around 40euros
• £15.00
• £20
• £15
• forum free
• £10.

Q4 Additional Comments

• I'd expect a seperate section to contain exclusive club offers etc
• I think that's a bad idea, don't want a them and us.
• Elitiism never creates a good impression
• Unsure,maybe a bit elite
• OTHERWISE WHY PAY MEMBERSHIP
• As it gives you something extra, that you fee lyou have paid for.
• We already have a members only website
• I hate passwords and all that logging on blah
• this would create elitism
• or supporting member status, a little icon on your posts?
• Only for info and announcments that do not concern non members, all technical info and discussion should remain in full public view
• For Sale / Wanted section only?
• member dicounts etc....
• Let everyone join is as it is now but memoribilia/poss dicounts to shows entrance fees etc to members only.
• Forum members only, rather than members only
• Bad idea IMO, it'll create a them and us.
• Within reason - not necessarily somewhere on the forum, as part of the reason it works so well is the fact that everything is open and nothing is isolated, in so much as you can see everything at any one time regardless of 'registered user' status. A 'Members Only' area would only work if it was kept open to the public, so to speak, and focused on running reports on cars and certain classifieds.
• depends what a members only area consists of ? browsing the site may be beneficial
• But I don't know what for!
• But I think it is important to have enough free access to draw wouldbe future members in.
• Avoid a them and us situation, any information such as special offers could be advertised through a club publication.
• no guest accounts allowed on member viewing and forum areas!!!
• If free no if paying yes
• This would make it seem elitest in my opinion. An Admin area, yes
• Members only area sounds good.
• Not conditional on owning an 800 series car

Q5 Frequency of publication

• Bi-Annually
• Once a year, an annual review or similar?
• Bi-Monthly
• I rarely read club magazines - a forum is much more relevant to me
• Every 3 months
• Bi monthly, no mag no fee......
• 3 mths
• 1 a month
• monthly/bi monthly
• Quarterly
• monthly Newsletter
• monthly
• Quarterly
• Electronic and quarterly
• 3months
• 3 monthly
• Monthly
• Quarterly
• quarterly
• Yes, but it will entail considerable input time from someone!
• Quarterly
• Bi-monthly or Quarterly
• quarterly
• bi-monthly or quarterly
• every two months
• 4 times a year
• save the trees
• monthly
• Probably bi-annually, quarterly at most - things just don't move that fast!
• 3 to 4 times a year plus 'specials' if needed
• Monthly
• 3-6 months.
• Quarterly to begin with,freqeuncy increasing as(hopefully)the club expands
• 6 monthly
• 4 times a year
• Quarterly.
• 3/4 months
• twice per annum
• bi-anual
• quarterly
• Quartely. Not sure if there would be enough news to have monthly
• 01/04/2010
• Member of 2cvgb - I like the format of that club with a monthly mag
• Annual review to start with I'd suggest.
• on line say monthly.
• quarterly
• Once a month, once every two months, depending on how easy it is to create in the time frame (I'd happily volunteer my services for the publication in whatever capacity you need - I'm not shy of instigating something like this, I successfully started from scratch the 'school newspaper' in two schools in my younger years; not as high-calibre as something such as this, but the essentials are there). Maybe this publication has the potential to become the home of many documented 'running restorations'?
• Quarterly
• quarterly
• If i was running a club,monthly would be a tall order to fill,bi-monthly would be ideal for members,but quarterly would be a good starting point.
• once a every 4 months
• Bi-monthly
• 1/2 yearly
• every other month?
• Quarterly
• Costs far too much, have been there before in other clubs.
• quaterly
• every 6 months
• 3 MONTHS
• every quarter
• Every quarter
• monthly
• Quarterly
• 3 monthly
• every month
• Quarterly
• Monthly
• monthly or bi monthly
• Bi Monthly

Q6 Additional Comments

• Through the net would keep costs to a minimum.
• Some clubs charge more for postal membership top cover the cost of the magazine
• pdf format
• I like keeping mags
• Annual paper one, say after a main annual event, rest email
• this would save money and hence have more money for club outings
• this would keep cost down
• Either/both acceptable
• A publication could bring together all events in a readily available format to enable people to decide where and when they can attend, and publish details of any discounts for Insurance, Car Part, Repairs etc
• see above
• Both if resonable and possible
• Give members the choice of either
• by post would be good as a lot is electronic mail these days,but would allso be costly
• essential to save on costs and paper
• with pics and meetings and stuff
• save trees
• both
• I collect to much as it is......
• As a luddite I would prefer a paper copy so you could sit down with a cuppa and have a good read but I appreciate the additional expense re copying postage and finding the articles.
• Cuts costs. Allows printing off anyway.
• least expensive
• Depending on cost - however a paper copy could well be an individual thing and be 'purchased', depending on print costs and such (as a start-up it may well be something that starts as a newsletter-type publication before blossoming into a fully-fledged magazine?)
• Its a lot of time involved with this aspect
• Publications are hard work.
• Cuts costs in many ways... and helps save the planet LOL
• No set format,not stuffy,a bit of humour thrown in,but informative.
• A PDF copy could be read on screen or printed if the reader wished to do so.
• both would be handy but post is better for me
• BOTH
• lets keep it it based, less oncosts to the user so cheaper membership
• Have the option for either. Advertise this in various classic car mags too.
• e-mail works for me aswell.
• VW POLO and GOLF Club are a good style to copy

Q7 Response Text

• Regional meets quarterly I think would be a good idea.
• All good ideas in theory. Are we big enough for that?
• We could do rallies to a point of interest, Treasure hunt by car,
A small show or tag onto say some of the Transtar event.
Too small for regional events to begin with we should do that once established.
• Having answered so far I believe that stay as we are
has merit.Club experience is that combining effort is effective,fragmentation leads to demise.
• 1/ events that can be held on private land to cut costs. 2/NO ,too many cooks 3/yes,IF SOMEONE IS WILLING TO ORGANISE AND MEMBERS ATTEND 4/those are my beliefs
• I think 4 main club events a year
• Guess i'm lucky in asmuch as i'm in an area that has a monthly meet already. Only managed to make 1 so far for various reasons but intend to change that soon!
• I wish. I live in the States.
• If events are to be organised then proper preparation MUST take place.
Cars in the Park
Gaydon
Yes but with consultation of the senior officers
Yes!
• My main problems are theft and vandalism. After my 800Di was in a dap with an overtaking lorry I got my spare 825 running. 2 weeks after the new MOT the roof was trampolined and the windscreen smashed. When I finally got the parts to fix the Di I discovered that some scroat had drained-off the fuel (3/4 of a tank) Bude is like the Bronx.
• Possibly Dyno Days and informal gatherings at already hosted events such as 'The Forces Festival' etc
Point to Point charity Runs, and weekend trips.
Regional yes, but a broad region such as S Eng, N Eng, Wales, Scotland and N Ireland.
Monthly meets -No, we are too broadly based.
• it would be nice to see regional area reps to set up everyone in specific areas like nw ne midlands sw se wales and scotland
• in or around my area would be nice dorset
• Monthly local events, along with regional quarterly events and a national event once a year.
• I'm happy with annual national events although local meets would be nice.
• the large classic car meetings are the best way to enlarge membership,
• Local monthly meets would be good; otherwise it depends entirely on time/effort put in by members
• This is dependent of Club Officers. Two national shows, one south & one north, Nec and local monthly meets once regional organizers step forward.
• Regional events would be a good idea. Bromley Pageant of Motoring in the SE is one to organise. Monthly local meets is one idea I have often thought of, along the lines of 'All Rover Meets'. The location is the main stumbling block, I think it will have to be a little further into Kent.
• I think organising these events may be difficult - but worth a try
• Keep as it is.
• should be at least 6 shows per summer season
• Keep it informal, I don't think we need a paramilitary wing
• leave things as they are, why do you feel there is need for change? if it works don't mend it!!
• I live in NE scotland so these meets would not be possible for me but should be offered as I am in a minority up here
• Have events that favour certain distant areas twice per year so there isn't such a feeling of distance and to give people more than one chane to attend.
• I live in Pembrokeshire, which is relatively remote, so unlikely to attend many events
• I don't go to these events as they are largely 'down south'. Regional would probably be too small a turnout. Would a 'tag on' to other regional car shows be possible?
• This is a great idea for members who live close together and it already happens. I don't feel there is a need to formalise the arrangements. For members who don't live close to other members the cost of travelling to meetings over long distances is prohibitive. I feel the cars in the park meet should continue, even though I wasn't able to attend this year, I feel the full weekend 'away' makes the cost of travelling long distances easier to stomach.
• think there should deffinatly be area reps. I am allso part of VVOC (Vauxhall) and this is how they make things easier nationaly. They have days like rolling roads too.
• ALL meets to be advertised online
• iam up for eventgs but no idea where and how as most members from all overe the uk
• I like the idea of organised events although I expect the Rover 800 following is not big enough yet to warrant one make events. I could be wrong though. Attending in a group would probably appeal to me more.
• definately an annual event. Could co inside with Gaydon/Pride of longbridge etc. Regional events and local meets would depend on demagraphics of Members
• I live overseas most of the time
• 2 main events with local 1/3 yearly meets (north and south regions to keep it simple)
• The occasional regional meet woudl be good, like the one held at the Kodak car club a few years ago
• In my opinion things will happen if they're needed or wanted. Been to the first three Gaydon meets and they were organised with minimal effort. Just the intention to come does it. Same with the Cornish meet which took hardly any organisation apart from giving each other some mobile numbers and planning two lunches and two nice trips.
• I think its fine as it is, tho a monthly, or quarterly local pub meet sounds intersting.
• I am a member of the Moto Guzzi club one of the best M/C clubs in the country and perhaps we could learn from them. They have regional officers who keep an eye out for local events and then publish them in the mag. Last minute shows are posted on the MG forum. It would be up to the regional officer to organise monthly meets etc. It also takes the pressure off the national organiser. We could have a national club meet once a year and invite other car clubs along or just keep it to ourselves. The possibilties are endless.
• Group shows organised by club
• Given the relative size of club, and model type I suspect that from this point on interest in 800's will dwindle to a key hardcore. Its hard to say if that hardcore is sufficient to maintain an offline club. 2cvgb works as its massive offline anyway, with the online a small subsidiary.
• Tricky one. We're typically terrible at meets.
• Very difficult to organise events as we will be very dispursed. I am on the south coast to getting to a central point - say Gaydon - would be expensive,
• Keep meets as they are - if it aint broke, don't fix it! As of yet I've not attended any (student budget with student transport), but the general impression I've had is that they've worked, and have worked well, due to their informal way of planning through the forum. Have the major meets at Gaydon and the like formally announced, but do the local ones as they've always been planned.
• This site is enough to do everything.
I cannot see any problem if I (as an example )recieve email notification of events etc etc.
I think this is the way forward.
• I enjoy a P6 club meeting, not sure about travelling to another one, I have an 80 mile round trip to commute.
• The committee would need an Area Rep Co-ordinator.. and he/she would need to sort members into catchment areas (West mids, East mids, South west) Area reps would need to come forward and organize local gatherings... The area Rep Co-ordinator would put new members under an area rep... Of course Area Reps, Co-ordinator and committee members would have to farmiliar with Data Protection Act and Sign for it... Local monthly meets work okay in the summer months, but fade during winter time... Local events = The area rep would have to book space for his members in advance.. or otherwise, Club Events Co-ordinator could do this if input is received from the area reps and book space for a larger gathering.
As a club, it could hold National events.. National Rally with overnight camping/caravanning = great way to meet members if a BBQ is lit ;) Spares Day... where members could bring a bootfull of bits and peices to sell to other members who would have a use for them. Club Tours... Something like a coast to coast run (St bees - Robinhoods bay)
• I have looked at your website and you seem to be doing quite a bit already.If you are serious about starting a club,too much too soon might be a bit of a nightmare.
• a few local or regional and maybe once a year big club meet.
• the current informal arrangements seem to work
• More meets and area reps?
• Meetings are good.
• Everyone says they want events but when we have tried to organise them sometimes the numbers and or responses have been low.
Perhaps people can organise things locally themselves (as happens already) and we continue to organise one or two big meets.
• Leave it as it is.
• Unsure of this at thi time but all meets should be organised by the people who are involved now!
• Don't be soft. There isn't enough enthusium for people to get off their butts away from the computer and do something real.
• collaboration with classic car shows, Ive been to a few now and rarely seen any 800's, lots of SD1's etc, they are getting rare and need to be shown off more.
• There are not enough members on the form at present to organise local meets. With active membership recruitment, we could have regional meets soon.
• Regional events reps would arrange local meetings but frequency decided by consensus rather than fixed monthly meetings, experience has it that not many people would attend a regular meeting due to other commitments
• I definately think regional events should be organised by local club officers,I also think members should be able to vote on any ideas that might affect how the club should be managed.
• Advise of events via e-mail. Local meets woul be good.
• Membership should be strong enough to hold regional meets/gatherings and annual events.
• As it is, maybe regional groups organising events.
• by us in Bulgaria, we organize weekly local meets(beer meet), twice a year-national meet!

Q8 Other (please specify)

• Lap Dancers at all meets!
• Insurance valuations are a minefield - unless you find a company that is prepared to honour them then they are a waste of time and money
• Most clubs offer this now.
• members helping members whenever and however they can
• Tool club for expensive tools eg torque wrench for hub nuts
• Club stand place
• free find a part service
• spare parts database/availability
• local garages and parts (closest to were you live
• Deals re:spares,servicing etc
• Parts availability/unavailability.
• Maintain existing iaison levels about problems and repairs etc
• build data maybe...
• Acess to relaible spare parts uppliers
• discount entry costs to shows, poss discount on merchandise
• no comment.
• Technichal information and support maybe?
• Spcial sticker which is only availiable to the active members of the site now!!! :-)
• The creation of a parts link, new and second hand, maybe a database, where users can track down the part they want, maybe even a link to local engineering firms who will make that obsolete part etc
• Second hand parts for trading to members. info on 800-827 etc, car repair proceedures and maintenance techniques

Q9 Club regalia items

• T-Shirts, Numberplates, Stickers.
• Not that sad, yet. Or at least I hope not.
• Polo Shirts, fleeces
• baseball caps, keyrings, stickers, polo/T-shiorts etc.
• a badge or something like that
• No comment ,see above
• badges and jackets
• Wallets, grille badges, keyrings
• Umbrella, jacket. t- shirt or polo shirt, car stickers/badges
• Rally jacket, t-shirts, sweatshirts
• A club´s pin/badge like the later Rovers had (junion jack plus rover badge?)
• club windscreen badge, polo shirt or fleece
• Key fobs, stickers.
• T-Shirts, Sweaters etc but not exclusively sold to club members, although members shouls have a discount
• t shirts with usernames on is always a good one
• polo shirts . stickers . caps
• T-Shirts, car stickers etc
• Window stickers, cat mats, key rings etc
• polo shirts
• Doesn't appeal to me, but it is a good way of raising revenue
• Magazine binders, 800 stickers, key fobs, umbrellas and associated items.
• Shirts, fleeces, Club banners
• stickers , caps , badges
• polo shirts and summer caps
• Car Stickers, Caps, Sweatshirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, etc
• usual stuff, t shirt, badge, keyring etc
• Can get an image of purveyors of tat - MG Owners club is a bit guilty of this. Once members have their gear sorted, there isn't really a one-off present/gift market.
• member car stickers. t-shirts. key ring.
• Hats,grill badges
• jackets, t shirts
• Not fussed either way.
• Stickers badges
• polo shirt, flease, cup,
• T Shirts ect.....
• Stickers, poloshirts, pens, keyrings.
• I'm not that sad yet, am I?
• Just a car badge
• The usual - t-shirts, etc. Maybe even a keyfob or two? An enamel pin badge would look good, depending on the logo of course...
• no comment
• Practical stuff, tax disc holder, pen tidy, calendar etc.
• T Shirts, hats, umbrellas, key rings...
• Club decals
• Tax disc holder that follows the same theme/design as the interior screen stickers being discussed at the moment.
• Te shirts hats stickers
• BAADGES AND STICKERS
• anything thats not cheap and tacky
• Bumper/window stickers, Pin badges, calendars with different models of rover 800s on each month
• Yo name it. Seen the MG stuff??!!
• KEY FOBS,T SHIRTS,JACKETS
• Sweats, caps and t-shirts and of course a nice sticker for the car.
• anything and everything you can stick a Rover badge on!
• Clothing
• Watches, mousepads, pens. t Shirts andbadges
• tasteful window stickers,tax disc holders,tee shirts.....
• Open minded

Q10 Response Text

• We should have done this a long time ago.
• Making a club would make things alot more complicated please let's just stay a community
• Overseas members input.
• Tool club would be useful, buy tools that individuals couldn't justify for themselves and all club members then have access. Could set up "Rover-post" to ship stuff round the country. Also a feedback section for dealings on ebay or where ever else that stuff gets bought - say if we find a very dodgy or very good trader have comments and/or contact details
• Overall the forum is really fine, a club should not be obligatory, more like an extra for the real enthusiasts
• Information about items that are not discussed in the Haynes or Rover manuals. For example rear spring rates and Nivomatts (when the Nivos loose their gas the police are liable to accuse one of overloading. I have fitted rubber spring assisters to the 825. 800 has these and MAD springs but the springs are very weak and don't do much considering the high price) Handbrake problems, alternator problems with the A127 - some are more equal than others! Alarm and immobiliser problems.
• This would ONLY work if kept informal, this i believe can be done as we are a select gathering if the site got too large it could cause problems, a minimum post count on the forum should be part of the membership.
• badges to show a members club is avalible like a sticker in the back window.
• I will support the group if it becomes a club, but having been there before, i must emphasise it will take a lot of time/effort/enthusiasm from a (small) group to make it work.
• Again, this venture is dependent of volunteers?
• The friendlyness and informal nature of the forum, as well as the information contained therein, should be protected. The Club should be viewed as an additional feature and may give many a feeling of 'belonging' to something special. One thought I have had is, are we allowed to legally use the Rover badge on banners, merchandise etc? I would be prepared to assist with some events, namely in the SE
• get started lads we want it
• as i have already said i don't feel there is any need to change things the club is just fine as it is why does it need to be "official"?
• I am already a member of the Jaguar Drivers club and Jaguar enthuisiasts Club, both these are now becoming more elitist and clearly forgetting there roots so how ever this moves forward reeber your core membership are not millionaires and keep faithful to the original idea, I doubt I will renew to these mentioned as they dont offer very much for my interest any more which is a great same.
• As with most of these things, responsibilty for running of a club would fall on very few shoulders and would therefore require the dedication of a few put upon people.
• Don't feel the need to formalise arrangements. Works perfectly well as it is. If it 'aint broke don't fix it !
• A network of experts for trouble shooting always proves helpful.
• Forming a club around a dingle model, eg the 800, looks like hard work as numbers inevitably decline. So how about other comparable cars, like other Rovers. The Lancia Club of GB is an excellent example of how this might work, albeit with a more exotic brand.
• As soon as you've formed a "proper club" the trouble starts.Who's doing what? How do you form a club staff in a rather big country with, let's be honest, not so many active members?
In short: there might be some advantages, but in my opinion and experince they don't give enough counterweight for the disadvantages.
• dont become aclyb
• Its a friendly site here....lets keep it that way.
• I think its a great idea being a club but have no experience of setting one up or how difficult they are to run.Just of being a member. I have already designed a sticker which should ,with Richards help, be on the forum for all too see and I could transfer it to many different things so don't mind doing the merchandise as long as there is the interest and i can cover my costs. We need to keep these cars going as future classics rather than cheap hacks to run into the ground. Thing is do we have other members willing to put in the time and effort? Kate.
• If you do it good luck!!
• Very good someone out there is taking an interest in this model. I've had my 800i for eleven years now and would not part with it - a lovely motor.
• I am passionate about MY Rover 800's but less passionate about others.
I have put a great deal of time into my Rover 800's
Its nice to have a common interest, so i think there should be a members list, not in any particular order to start with, and the list should only consist of actual Rover 800's
• Not entirely sure what the point of a club would be!
• Website is the best I have used for advice and gentle banter, just how I like it
• I used to be on the Rover SD1 committee serving as Camping events, Regional Rep Co-ordinator, and served as Vice Chair for a time. I am no longer in any car clubs at the moment apart from The Lambretta Club of GB.. I hope to be re-joining the Princess Club in the near future
• If a club magazine is in the offing,have a modified car in the centre spread so that others can see just what can be done to these cars.
• my only concern is that when Doug started looking for money for the .co.uk site bad feeling resulted...
• The idea of a club sounds great, but on reflection it is a lot of work for the people involved; it could also cause rifts and upset the great camaraderie that we currently enjoy. We are basically a club already and if suggestions could be followed up (such as getting a parts discount from Rimmers or an insurance scheme) to see if they could be introduced it would benefit all users.

There is nothing to stop us introducing a forum handbook, containing member lists, pictures from events that users go to and some (perhaps with a little editing) of the technical "stickies" that are on the site already and distribute it via email to forum members.

I was really in favour of a members club but the more I have thought about it the more I think it could cause problems and would be a lot of work for a few people.
• Why ruin what is such a good place by forming it into a club? This then brings about certain criteria that must be met, committee members must be elected, formal meetings held etc etc. All this takes time, effort and money and of course willing people.
A publication is a waste of money and effort. Other clubs have stopped theirs.
If money is an issue then ask for a donation to help run the site in the same way that the MG-Rover forum does. Even pay a webmaster to host the service.
But I feel a club will spoil what we have.
• There are not enough people who support the Rover 800. It was never regarded as a good car and it never will be. People just don't warm to it. You either love 'em or hate 'em and most people hate 'em.
• Certainly a forum for discussions, experiences, good and bad servicing, and parts availability.
• An excellent forum but would be nice as aproper club.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

MikeMedford
Rover Guru

Post by MikeMedford » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:13 am

Seems as though it's still pretty undecided.

Have chatted to a few people about the club idea and most like the idea of becoming a club but do not want any extra hassle.

Here is what I propose:

We become an owners club.
Site remains as it is with the exception of a description change to mention owners club.
No membership fee, open to anyone to join.

So basically remain the same but with a few suggestions:

Recruit a couple of volunteers to take charge or arranging meets, to allow better organization.

These volunteers would work along side the mod and admin team and when upcoming events are announced or coming near they put together a brief announcement and post it on the forum, the same announcement can then be mass mailed by an admin so everyone will be notified.

In addition, instead of a newsletter with random crap in it, quarterly or bi-annually a mass mail could be sent out listing any meets that are coming up in that period.

Stickers or any other product for endorsing the club to be purchased as a group buy as and when needed to keep costs down.

To me this would be the simplest route and will satisfy both camps for and against becoming a club.