Which one would you rather be looking at...

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Which one would you rather be looking at...

Post by Lord Sterling » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Found this on another site, quite appropiate really.....

I’m sitting in a Rolls Royce Shadow II painted in Moreland Green with matching Connolly leather seats and deep green Axminster carpets. The dash is an untroubled wooden gleam and the 7 litre V8 is so quiet and smooth you wouldn’t even know it was running except the steady rev counter tells you so. I am surrounded by a magnificent quiet...

The back of the bus in front of me is asking me a question.
I pick up the camera from the passenger seat.
Half heateredly I line up the Lady and the 3 point star.
Aim and press the button.
The answer to the question is no.
Owned :twisted:

Lord Sterling

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:16 pm

lol, yup, pawned :lol:
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Manalishi » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:09 pm

8) :lol:

But hey, I'd rather be in a Lloyd than in a Merc... :P
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:50 pm

a few days ago some guy told me: "you know you want a BMW, everyone driving a west-european riceburner would want one." I wonder what should be wrong with me to trade in my shiny Rover for a rag of a BMW. BMWs might be good cars, but at that age in estonian conditions and years of being owned by chavs has left it's marks on both the cars and the reputation.

And unless...err...eh... I doubt I'd pick any merc over my rover. Unless it is new and I get it for free.

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:56 pm

Well, Rovers are for heros, and not any old chav :wink:
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Marmitemania
Regular Visitor

Post by Marmitemania » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:40 pm

Would not give a Merc drive space, rubbish rot boxes.
BRITISH IS BEST

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:46 pm

There are some pre-yank ones I'd be happy with. And rot boxes? My 94 820 wasn't exactly a rust-free zone.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

paigntonlad

Post by paigntonlad » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Mercs = German
German = EVIL

Germans and French are horrible little people, and I wouldnt ever own one of their cars, I dont care how good it maybe.. or not :lol:

MikeMedford
Rover Guru

Post by MikeMedford » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:22 pm

paigntonlad wrote:Mercs = German
German = EVIL

Germans and French are horrible little people, and I wouldnt ever own one of their cars, I dont care how good it maybe.. or not :lol:
Majority of british people are descendants of both races, what does that make us? lol

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:24 pm

I do a few amount of work for a local landlord (400+ properties) It is run by a very nice Jewish person. I'm not really sure how he squares owning and driving German cars, given the policy of genocide they adopted in the 30s. AND they tried to bomb us out of existence. We had to bail the French out in two wars and they now own half of our industry (bloody collaborators) The Italians are ok though, I like fops :lol:
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Having driven several Mercs, including a chav-tastic 320 CLK from Bridgend to Southampton, then onto Nottingham, i can honestly say
I NEVER WANT TO OWN ONE!!!!
Why? So typically German!! no character, and everything just exactly right!! Except the driving position, i could never get comfortable in a Merc!!
Also owned 2 examples of a BMW 728, four speed manual box and a four barrel carb (think it was a Weber, but may have been a Solex). My belief is i was never destined to keep either as both produced banana shaped cylinder heads in very short order!! Got to say though, they were never as comfy or as well equipped as the price tag would suggest!!
I'll stick with the Rover i think, much better bet!!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:56 pm

Funny you should say that scooby, but the Mercs I have driven have been typically cold teutonic machines. Taxis in most other countries, including the Canaries. Give me the British, quirky iron any time
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:59 pm

You can't beat a Roller

Silver Shadow 1 1971
H J Mulliner Park Ward Shadow (2 door) 1969

Both owned when I was about 24 or 25 and long gone now...The imperious feeling and smoothness after a string of Triumphs was amazing. I'll scan my photos...
No longer an 800 owner!

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Unless it's a Bentley :)
The Roller I drove (one and only :cry: ) was a '77 in about '80 (can't remember the exact model). It was sublime!
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks Brian, they were the words i was looking for!! They are definitely typically cold, teutonic machines!!
And Brad, Rollers are nice too, but i wouldn't want the fuel bill!! Always wanted a Mulliner Park Ward since having a Dinky Toy one as a kid, but the Dinky is as close as i'm going to get!! Unless of course i win £23m on the lotto, lol!!
I've driven a 1981/2 Shadow (think it was a Shadow anyway) and a 1927 ish Silver Ghost (that's what i was told it was!!). Nice, but again, the fuel bill...............
Cheers,
Dave
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!