Failed MoT...but no disaster

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
malcolm_durant
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Failed MoT...but no disaster

Post by malcolm_durant » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:06 pm

Took the Vit for the MoT and it failed. I was expecting it, but had thought the blowing flexi-section would be the cause of the fail (I'm still awaiting a second hand one I've bought).

Surprisingly that went without comment, but the headlight alignment was out (they sorted it for a fiver) and I hadn't noticed the rear number-plate bulbs were both blown; the screws were too rusty for me to sort out on the spot (done now).

Emissions were good too (at fast idle the CO2 is 0.02%, HC's are 20ppm and the Lambda reading was 1.01; natural idle CO reading is 0.02%)

Advisories were the usual T-series oil leak and the rear indicator bulbs are not sufficiently orange. "Off the record" comment from the tester was that the handbrake could be better but is well within tolerance (I'll sort that when I do fit braided flexie hoses).

Got to say this car is proving so cheap to run...touch wood!!!

Malcolm
Range Rover 4.6 HSE

Rover Vitesse Fastback - RIP
Rover Vitesse Sport - RIP
Rover 827 Vitesse - RIP
Rover 216 Vitesse - RIP

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:27 pm

You didn't swap the bulbs from the outside in the end did you?

You know that you can get to them from inside the boot/hatch?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

malcolm_durant
Rover Guru

Post by malcolm_durant » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:39 pm

You know that you can get to them from inside the boot/hatch?
Yep - after getting out the electric drill, I had a closer look and that's what I did in the end...bit fiddly getting the bulb holders back in properly but I also found another cause of rattling in the boot (the tailgate's interior trim was loose) so a Brucie Bonus there... :D

Next year I'll probably attack those rusty screws as they irritate me, but all is good for now.

I went to Halfrauds after the MoT to get the correct bulbs and saw extra bright/"quick reacting" tail/brake/indicator bulbs and bought a pair for the brake lights (£2.99 a pair IIRC).

Fitted them today and can't vouch for the "quick reacting" part of the sales blurb, but they are noticably brighter than the originals. Probably no bad thing.

If I'd have been awake I would have got some replacement tailight bulbs as one of mine still shines but the glass is almost stained black now!

Malcolm[/url]
Range Rover 4.6 HSE

Rover Vitesse Fastback - RIP
Rover Vitesse Sport - RIP
Rover 827 Vitesse - RIP
Rover 216 Vitesse - RIP