Chat about cars you've been in lately

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Chat about cars you've been in lately

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:15 pm

I've dealt with Paul and Gary, it was Gary i ordered the expansion tank brackets from and he went to Paul and was apparently told to order them because i'd done my research! :shock: Talk about knowing the customer! :lol:

Now they've realised you have tractors and are ordering various bits they'll work it out, especially if you turn up in your coupé - they'll just think it's a conspiracy! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:08 pm

I ordered some flared head M10 bolts from them for our combine this year. I knew the part number from a previous order; Paul asked me which XC90 they were for as they rarely ever order bolts as spare parts and I was on my second order of 10!

I told him what it was going on an after a few seconds of silence he said "I'm sorry Tom, we're not going to be able to give you a parts warranty for that application...." :lol:
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by BennyVitesse » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Toyota Yaris Design HSD Bi-Tone

Our 2nd car, mainly being used by my mother to visit my nan. We did consider an EV but the real range just isn't where we need it to be at the moment, for example the Leaf states it will do 120 miles but the reality is nearer 80. So we chose a hybrid Yaris, its on a 3 year lease, we predict by then there should be an EV on sale that cracks 150 miles per charge all day long without costing a small fortune. Its a CVT but don't compare it to the units they used to shove into the DAF 45 or the Rover Metro, this has seriously moved on. It feels as silky smooth as the Getrag 5 speeder in the Rover 75.

Bi-Tone just means its two tone paint like the early R8s used to get. This one is black over red and it looks fantastic. This was the first HSD one with that finish to be ordered by Toyota UK and arrived in early April, having been ordered late January. Since we got ours, they've sold a lot in the Bi-Tone finish, including a rather natty white over black combo which I've nicknamed Humbug!

HSD works best in cities or when driving in the suburbs. It'll crack 80 mpg according to the book, the best we have got so far is 71 mpg, although it dropped to 64mpg on a fast run to Sussex the other weekend.

My only gripe is that it isn't dripping with toys, and I always thought Japanese cars did. This is almost top of the range, with a £19k price tag and you don't get folding mirrors or auto lights/wipers. They didn't even offer a sunroof (although they have since added a glass roof panel to the MY2017 options list), we even had to specify Sat Nav which added £650 to the price but reduced the monthly payments by £9 as it increased its Guaranteed Minimum Future Value by more than £650 (it really did get that complicated!).

6000 miles in and its loosening up nicely. Being automatic and having the weight of 2 engines its never going to set any land speed records but 2 things to note; its AC electric up to 30 mph so you get all the torque immediately meaning its reasonably swift off the lights, and that battery pack under the back seat does give it a better weight distribution than ICE model so I've found it corners really well.
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:38 pm

traineefarmer wrote:I ordered some flared head M10 bolts from them for our combine this year. I knew the part number from a previous order; Paul asked me which XC90 they were for as they rarely ever order bolts as spare parts and I was on my second order of 10!

I told him what it was going on an after a few seconds of silence he said "I'm sorry Tom, we're not going to be able to give you a parts warranty for that application...." :lol:
Are these the sort of thing you mean Tom?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... t&_sacat=0

Question is, is your combine a Volvo? If so then the parts warranty should apply.......... :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:16 pm

Today I had a drive in a SAAB 900 turbo convertible from mid -90s (the semi-newer model). It was a bit wooley on the steering, small inside and quite noisy. But still a nice classic. I don't like SAABs but an old convertible is never wrong even though the old generation is more classic.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:16 pm

I drove a diseasel powered Saab convertible about 15 years ago when it was about 2 or 3, possibly 4 years old. Capable enough but couldn't get on with the position of the throttle pedal - too far inboard because of the wheelarch for my liking.
Despite the turbo, it struggled on motorway inclines which was a shame - i suspect the petrol version would have been a lot better although i later owned a 1986 900i Combi (5 door) that was good on performance but jeeeeeeez, was that thing thirsty! Lucky to get 22mpg on a decent run without hoofing it! Same driving position as the convertible despite being slightly different on the outside. Always liked the look of Saabs but wouldn't own another through choice. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:23 am

63reg Transit 'Custom' diesel. I like it, but hanging on before I can get a van for my future business needs. A small van the size of a Transit Connect might be better/appropriate for me. Like the Hyundai I800 loading van as a good value/reliable one to look into as well.

Driven some horrible rattily old clunker vans (like a V reg Renault Master with 300,000 miles on the clock, with doors that did not lock)

One such van I hired (10 year old Citroen Dispatch) was from a van rental firm in Harrogate run by Dodgy Dave; (his real name is Dave and some people refer him as Dodgy Dave) Though, usefully I don't work in that region myself these days, being a tad far out from home.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:43 am

Charles827si wrote:63reg Transit 'Custom' diesel. I like it, but hanging on before I can get a van for my future business needs. A small van the size of a Transit Connect might be better/appropriate for me. Like the Hyundai I800 loading van as a good value/reliable one to look into as well.

Driven some horrible rattily old clunker vans (like a V reg Renault Master with 300,000 miles on the clock, with doors that did not lock)

One such van I hired (10 year old Citroen Dispatch) was from a van rental firm in Harrogate run by Dodgy Dave; (his real name is Dave and some people refer him as Dodgy Dave) Though, usefully I don't work in that region myself these days, being a tad far out from home.
There's good and bad in all vans Charles although generally speaking, you won't go far wrong with a good Transit or Connect. They're terrific little vans - go like stink and give very good economy too.
As for the "French contingent", even the best ones are dreadful, even when new. I had several as company vans and wouldn't give them driveway space, most were death traps from the factory.
That said i once had a 9 year old Transit company van and the seals had gone on the rear doors - they did lock though! :lol: It had done something like 280k and been thrashed all its life so the engine was "fumey" to say the least. The first few days i couldn't work out why i felt so ill, light headed etc when getting out of it and why people said i was a delicate shade of blue. Then i twigged the rear doors seals - it was pulling fumes in and giving me carbon monoxide poisoning as i drove! :shock:
The next morning i told my boss i wasn't driving it anymore (this was after he also noticed i was a strange colour) so i ended up with a Ranger 4x4 with a Truckman top on it. That came in handy as i was assigned to the White City shopping development (can't remember what it's called now) and also the Wembley Stadium development as the on-site engineer and during the times they were digging 30m down for the underground car parks etc, it came in quite handy just to get to the various machines we had in there. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:37 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Charles827si wrote:63reg Transit 'Custom' diesel. I like it, but hanging on before I can get a van for my future business needs. A small van the size of a Transit Connect might be better/appropriate for me. Like the Hyundai I800 loading van as a good value/reliable one to look into as well.

There's good and bad in all vans Charles although generally speaking, you won't go far wrong with a good Transit or Connect. They're terrific little vans - go like stink and give very good economy too.
As for the "French contingent", even the best ones are dreadful, even when new. I had several as company vans and wouldn't give them driveway space, most were death traps from the factory.
That said i once had a 9 year old Transit company van and the seals had gone on the rear doors - they did lock though! :lol: It had done something like 280k and been thrashed all its life so the engine was "fumey" to say the least. The first few days i couldn't work out why i felt so ill, light headed etc when getting out of it and why people said i was a delicate shade of blue. Then i twigged the rear doors seals - it was pulling fumes in and giving me carbon monoxide poisoning as i drove! :shock:
The next morning i told my boss i wasn't driving it anymore (this was after he also noticed i was a strange colour) so i ended up with a Ranger 4x4 with a Truckman top on it. That came in handy as i was assigned to the White City shopping development (can't remember what it's called now) and also the Wembley Stadium development as the on-site engineer and during the times they were digging 30m down for the underground car parks etc, it came in quite handy just to get to the various machines we had in there. :wink: :D
Would love an old Sprinter 4x4;- but I will need to fill my pockets deeper for abit. Rugged chain driven workaholic, and with beefed up tyres, can even show some Land-Rovers the way :lol:
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Until the brakes fail on the outside lane eastbound of the M62 at 70mph with the traffic in front all square wheeled! :shock: :shock: :shock:

One quick "indicator on and slide across all lanes to the hard shoulder" job at least i didn't hit anything! Just needed fresh underwear! :lol:
The first (and last!) time i drove a Merc Sprinter!

Obviously a one off as i've not seen any other Merc Sprinters with dead snouts but plenty of PSA group vans with the front caved in!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:02 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Until the brakes fail on the outside lane eastbound of the M62 at 70mph with the traffic in front all square wheeled! :shock: :shock: :shock:

One quick "indicator on and slide across all lanes to the hard shoulder" job at least i didn't hit anything! Just needed fresh underwear! :lol:
The first (and last!) time i drove a Merc Sprinter!

Obviously a one off as i've not seen any other Merc Sprinters with dead snouts but plenty of PSA group vans with the front caved in!
Yeah I've seen some things like that as well.. :|

The newish '63'reg Transit Custom TDCI I have been driving on and off for a year was the short wheel base one, and it is very 'car like' to drive, which is nice compared to the 'long-wheel' base Renault Master Van, that had lost some of its horse power.

I can't remember which engine it had really, (2.2 or 2.4 TDCI) but it can keep up with the more powerful long base Merc Sprinters on the M-Way at 90mph! (It's only been the odd time at that speed; shh; don't tell lol!) :D

Newish VW's Vans in general I think are quite overrated, and the VED will most likely hike on most diesels. I wouldn't be surprised if the government will launch a proper diesel gate investigation into VW diesel engines and hopefully (in my mind) penalise them, by raising the VED on all new VW TDI vehicles. After the whole emission thing, there are now calls for cleaner fuels, or cleaner diesels, which Hyundai seem to be doing a good job working on for their own Sprinter size long wheel base euro van, which should be launching soon. 8)
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:35 pm

It's diffficult to beat a transit as an all-rounder, but they're not the nicest to drive. And although the mechanical bit will go and go, the bodies seem to dissolve pretty badly.

I think Merc vans are very overrated. Great when new but fickle when it comes to servicing and definately don't tolerate abuse like a tranny. In my opinion the driving experience doesn't meet the hype either.

A Nissan Cabstar and LDV 300 luton take 1st and 2nd places on my list of Worst Vehicles I've Ever Driven.

I'll always have a soft spot for Renault vans. Obviously the build quality is a bit "French" - even on the UK built ones (don't forget the trafic/vivaro is the ONLY UK built van these days) but they are lovely to drive. Smooth, quiet, light controls that would put many cars to shame.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Never knew of LDV 300s, always known them as either 200s or 400s.

I had a 400 about 13 years ago now, wasn't fast but drove ok for a van.

Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:16 pm

My mistake. It was a 400. 2.5 Peugeot turbo diesel.

It wasn't so much the lack of power, but the unbelievable noise and vibration that came into the cab. After a couple of hundred miles I was exhausted.

I drove another briefly and it seemed just as bad.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Same as mine was then.

I'll give you that, I perhaps didn't notice that much as I only ever used it locally due to being so slow. I used my dads Transit if I needed to go any distance. :)
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold