Chat about cars you've been in lately

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Tenesmus
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Chat about cars you've been in lately

Post by Tenesmus » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:18 pm

I was underwhelmed by the 2001 Skoda Fabia we had. Fine when it worked, if completely without character, but it had various known issues like water coming in through the back door and drain holes getting blocked in the engine bay causing a damp carpet. It cost a lot when anything went wrong and the main dealer was a shower of shite, this was due to VAG just giving the franchise to anyone with a glitzy showroom and lots of cash. If there's a next time it'll probably be from the far east.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

funkkydrummer
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by funkkydrummer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:37 am

Further to the VAG debate, our Q7 isn't as well put together as I would have expected for a £55k car. No where near the quality of the current Range Rover (I suppose the cheapest RR being about £80k - thats probably why). We had a 2006 A4 before this and I would say it was of a better build quality. Dashboard plastics are cheap and tacky etc.

However, I had the oppertunity to work on it last weekend. It was needing new front brake pads as the old ones were just about worn down to the backing plates. A dream to work on! Brakes designed in such a way that the calipers don't need to be removed. Unbolt and knock out the pin and the pads literally slide out. If every task is as easy it will be brilliant.

So in summary - poor material choice but engineered in the way you would expect from "ze Germans"!
2006(56) Yamaha FJR1300A
2011(11) BMW X3 20d X-Drive (F25)
2012(61) Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi

Previous:
1990 (H) Rover 827Si Fastback
1999 (T) Rover 820Si Saloon

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:57 am

funkkydrummer wrote:Brakes designed in such a way that the calipers don't need to be removed. Unbolt and knock out the pin and the pads literally slide out. If every task is as easy it will be brilliant.
Like my 43 year old MG then!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

rosshenocsr
Regular Visitor

Post by rosshenocsr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:26 pm

I work at a Jaguar main dealer and we have problems with every audi that we sell (all partexs of course...........pervious owners seen sence maybe) Jags are quite well made, only thing they could do better with is suspension bushes, they wear out much to quickly
2003 MG ZS 180 - Trophy Blue
1998 Rover 620 ti - Kinversand Orange

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:40 pm

rosshenocsr wrote:I work at a Jaguar main dealer and we have problems with every audi that we sell (all partexs of course...........pervious owners seen sence maybe) Jags are quite well made, only thing they could do better with is suspension bushes, they wear out much to quickly
My Mk1 Mondeo was like that with suspension bushes it got through two sets in the time I had it.

I would give my right arm for a XFR 8)
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Nissan Leaf. On trial through my mate's firm in Cheltenham. I drove it a few miles and it was very impressive. Smooth, comfortable and, of course, silent. But it was also hard to see out of, hard to judge when parking, the plastics were cheap, the chrome was even cheaper plastic and, overall, not worth £30,000.

I see these are now around £15,000 when they are a year old. Much more realistic. But still not tempted. And my friend has opted for the new Volvo ( the new one that is like a Focus) to replace his 118D BMW which is like a plank on castors but less comfy and less reliable.
No longer an 800 owner!

v6pilot
Regular Visitor

Post by v6pilot » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 pm

We just spent 2 glorious weeks in Italy,rented an apartment in a villa in Umbria and hired a car which turned out to be a brand new Toyota yaris.
I was keen to drive this with an unbiased opinion, however it wasnt too long before the "what a load of c**p this is" entered the conversation.
Its plus points were the aircon and front passenger leg room, and the fact that you can drive it in an alley way, which is a good thing in Italy.
I can only say that this car is obviously aimed at those that wish to commit suicide, or those that just see it as a car that will get you to the shop.
I had quite a few Basil fawlty moments with the car much to the amusement of my wife,son and innocent Italian bystanders.
Dave
02 2.5 mg zt 190
03 mg zr 1.8 pocket rocket

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:28 pm

funkydrummer have you had any tyre wear issues yet. because apparently even audi cannot get the tyres to wear evenly. and at a thousand pounds for a set of tyres thats not good news... and like rich c i would give my left arm for a jaguar xfr because then i could still drive it... i do get to drive a few jaguars and range rovers due to the contract i have with them, the older xjr and xkr are also very sweet to drive.. regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:28 pm

I have had the new LEXUS GS450h F-Sport on trial for 24 hours.

This is a 292bhp hybrid. As with all Lexus, impeccably put together, perfect paint and not a squeak.

The hybrid set up switches between electric motor and engine without you even realising it has happened. There is no change in the sound, the car is perfectly quiet no matter what.

However, the inside of the car is dark and claustrophobic and looks a touch like the Laguna, which is disappointing.

Would I buy one for £51000? No. Would I buy one at three years old for a third of the price? No. I would buy a three year old LS600h or LS460 and feel the space.
No longer an 800 owner!

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:22 pm

1968 E Type Coupe, 4.2l 6 cyl. A 24 hour birthday present from the wife. What a blast. Speed bumps proved a little challenging, as did parking it - no power steering. 4 speed manual so a little different from the Sterling. People smiling and waving and taking photos. Surprisingly comfortable.

If you haven't you really should.

Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

RoastBeef
Regular Visitor

Post by RoastBeef » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:29 am

[quote="Tenesmus"]1968 E Type Coupe, 4.2l 6 cyl. A 24 hour birthday present from the wife. What a blast. Speed bumps proved a little challenging, as did parking it - no power steering. 4 speed manual so a little different from the Sterling. People smiling and waving and taking photos. Surprisingly comfortable.

If you haven't you really should.

I have, and I am really glad that I have. They are, ofcourse, stunning looking cars.
I would not want to own one, unless it was an 'Eagle E-Type' or similar uprated car, just because of the standard brakes, gearbox and handling, is not good. But im sure, with enough cash that can be sorted.

Glad you enjoyed it, they do feel very special. Good Pics
Pete

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:33 am

Was the Etype hired from Self-Drive Classics? We hired a DB7 Vantage from them for 2 days and it was worth EVERY single penny of what it cost!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

rockdemon
Regular Visitor

Post by rockdemon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Bought the lady wife an audi a6 1.8t 2002 vintage.

It's a good quiet motorway car - pretty good for 1600 quid. quite good for overtaking with it's diesel style turbo power curve....

I prefer the 800 - it's just less german for me, but it's not me who'd drive it. I have enough to do with the P6 ;)
Rich,

1998 Rover 820si
1968 Rover P6 3500 (gertrude/pae)

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:30 pm

It was through this lot http://www.greatescapecars.co.uk/ but now they don't do the chap I got the car from. He took me around the car, explained how to start it, took me for a drive in the pouring rain before handing over to me for the short drive back to the unit (that also contained (among others) 2 other E-types, TR4, TR5, TR6, MGs, a Stag and a Morris Minor (the only car out of all of them that had attracted a speeding ticket). NS indicator bulb went and one of the heater knobs came off but hey ho, I was grinning like an idiot for 24 hours.

Fortunately no bumps or scrapes (exhaust aside) as my credit card wouldn't have enjoyed the £1,000 excess...
Pete

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:54 pm

In Spain, the taxi to the airport was a 300c estate auto. Absolutely huge inside, nice seats, went very quickly (but it was a diesel and I'm not a farmer so I'd have the petrol one). Bad stuff - not sure about the tiny windows and the interior is very plasticky - Americans think luxury=quantity x size so the interior trim is naff - the "wood" bits are the door handles, gear lever and a bit on the steering wheel, the rest being grey and silver plastic that wouldn't look good on a base model Corsa. Maybe there are options to make it look more premium. Anyway with second hand petrol ones around at £7k it's something I'd think about.

Did I mention how enormous it is inside? And I like the look of the outside - grill reminds me of old Rovers. New facelift model looks rubbish.
Pete