Chat about cars you've been in lately

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Tenesmus
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Chat about cars you've been in lately

Post by Tenesmus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:31 pm

BMW X3 2.0 diesel auto in the inevitable silver. Plasticky dash for a supposed premium brand. Fancy screen tells you that you need to put it into reverse when reversing. Bit of a bouncy ride but this was in the back squashed up against a baby seat and another unfortunate adult in the middle. Slid about on the seat on corners. Why not get a Honda or Nissan?
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

Richard C
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Richard C » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:55 am

Mine to drive for the next three years, noisy engine, crashy 17" wheels and a silly electric parking brake spoil an otherwise ok car

Just got rid of this
92,000miles by the end and had three sets of tyres on the front a couple of wiper blades a sticking door lock and that was all that was done to it in that time, not a bad car at all.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Hire car sat outside is a bright red 4 door Astra 1.6 auto with 4k on the clock. Auto has a manual mode. No silly pushbutton handbrake, a relatively uncluttered dash and best of all - and this is a first - the owner's manual in the glove box so now I know that it will only start in P with your foot on the brake. Usual dull black interior and restricted rear vision due to massive pillars. Driving from Bristol to Helston tomorrow, then on to Plymouth, and overnight stay before back home. Was delivered by a kid who drove it like it was stolen.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 pm

All round visibility is rubbish, lovely autobox, loses umph on hills, comfortable, headrest you can't rest your head on. Easy to drive. Nice colour and looks ok. Like.
Pete

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Last week it was a Hyundai ix35 from Hertz in Ireland. 2wd diesel base manual model with no toys to speak of which meant no confusing buttons all over the dash. LCD display on the radio not very clear. Little display by speedo suggests when to change gear.

Seats not as supportive as the Qashqai (last similar thing we had) so not as comfy. Back seats seem ok. Goes ok. Usual silver and black plastic interior looks cheap compared to the exterior. Tailgate not easy to close by the vertically challenged. The Mrs drove it and was happy. High up with good visibility and handy for driving onto the beach.
Pete

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:14 pm

Nissan Note 1.4 Acenta R. My aunt's new car, replacing her Focus 1.6 Zetec (unreliable heap).
Fits Nan's wheelchair, seats 5 in comfort and it has air con, bluetooth stereo,all round electric windows, and tinted glass. We got 55 mpg through a long section of 50 mph roadworks and 50 mpg for the rest of the 200 mile trip.

Along with the new Astra its a shining example of how well us Brits can make a car, just a shame we can't run a company.

I can't be the only one who is impressed with them, I spotted dozens out and about this weekend.
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Astra SE diesel rental on a 12 plate. Anonymous silver, dull interior, uncomfortable passenger seat, rubbish stereo (may have been buggered by someone maxing the volume), auto wipers that came on when there was a single raindrop and didn't come on when there was a deluge, and hateful button handbrake that goes "ping" quite a lot.

Goes ok but I couldn't figure out how you make the windows do anything but go all the way up, and all the way down.
Pete

Bert3
Regular Visitor

Post by Bert3 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Most of these cars have one thing in common .... they've had a damn good beating from the 'Ugly' stick. Functional? Yes ... Asthetically pleasing? ..... ooohh no ....

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:12 pm

2007 Mercedes Sprinter - Asda Delivery Van option

Drives like a brick on four soggy cheesecakes for springs! Otherwise, surprisingly comfortable seats... that's about it other than the obvious fact it is HOPELESS at making progress off the line, 2.1l straight 4 turbo diesel 87hp/162lb ft through a 5 speed slushbox and 2.4 tons of van (assuming the weight, as the payload is a hair under a ton)

Also the auto 'box was either broken or from a petrol as it never rode the torque curve and was forever dropping cogs and wailing to 3,500rpm (at part throttle, hit the kickdown and it changes @ 4,100rpm)

Pain in the bum to drive smoothly, you needed to feather/massage the throttle to "confuse" the 'box in order for it to behave the way it should and surf what little torque it has.

Averages 24mpg too.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Seat Toledo - Solid, boring, anonymous, well put together.
Skoda Rapid - same car, same comments. But cheaper than the Seat Toledo.
Nissan Juke - a bit bouncy, poor rear visibility, funky shape, good features and great value.

As you can see, I am looking to buy a sensible car. It ain't gonna happen is it?
No longer an 800 owner!

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Have you tried a Qashqai - bigger brother of the Juke? I quite liked it for a "sensible" car.
Pete

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:07 am

Tenesmus wrote:Have you tried a Qashqai - bigger brother of the Juke? I quite liked it for a "sensible" car.
No. I don't like the looks.
No longer an 800 owner!

Bert3
Regular Visitor

Post by Bert3 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 am

Very Tall Brad wrote: As you can see, I am looking to buy a sensible car. It ain't gonna happen is it?
Have you thought about an old 800 Rover? ...... Better equipped, very comfortable, and a lot easier on the eye than a new Mondeo/Vectra etc ...... not forgetting that the c£17k you'd save will buy about 50,000 miles worth of petrol even for a V6 auto.

You know it makes sense :wink:

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Bert3 wrote:
Very Tall Brad wrote: As you can see, I am looking to buy a sensible car. It ain't gonna happen is it?
Have you thought about an old 800 Rover? ...... Better equipped, very comfortable, and a lot easier on the eye than a new Mondeo/Vectra etc ...... not forgetting that the c£17k you'd save will buy about 50,000 miles worth of petrol even for a V6 auto.

Too old to be reliable and tax efficient!

I feel an Insignia Estate might be on my eventual shortlist for an everyday car.
No longer an 800 owner!

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:
Bert3 wrote:

Too old to be reliable and tax efficient!

I feel an Insignia Estate might be on my eventual shortlist for an everyday car.

If you want to keep the British theme running, have you considered a Jaguar XF sport brake - as a good as an estate car?
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage