A Motoring legend on our Southern trip .........

Post your photos from car shows and get-togethers in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A Motoring legend on our Southern trip .........

Post by vito » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Me and Mrs V had a lovely week last week taking in BMW annual show at Gaydon with the Alpina then a tour South through Bath, Sparkford, Brixham, Southampton Isle of Wight, then culminating at Portsmouth Old Docks to see Level 42 in concert, but, whilst at Sparkford look who I bumped into ....................

Only Mr Bloomin' John Haynes of Haynes workshop manuals, the man who launched a thousand spanners across a thousand garage floors :D

What a thoroughly nice bloke, he's opened up his private car collection and turned it into a museum, here's a few piccies, well worth a visit, Sparkford, Somerset.

http://www.haynesmotormuseum.com/

Check the reg number on this Bentley he owns ..........

This is the original XR4 used in the Duckhams oil commercial with the cutaway engine and a beetle engine in the boot to make it run.

No Rover 800's sadly but here's a rare SD1 estate ..........

And here's an 800 saloon outside a quaint old petrol station in Sparkford Village as we passed through.

A final one of my V8 B10 Alpina at Brixham Marina ..........

A great week

:D
Last edited by vito on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: A Motoring legend on our Southern trip .........

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:28 pm

He likes red and yellow!

Many people deride the Haynes manuals but they are great for what they do - and for many years they were all that there was. For older cars especially they are usually all you need
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Nuts4my827 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:22 pm

Top bloke, and Haynes Manuals are the shizzle, especially the older full detail ones. Leant my stuff with those
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Jon R
Regular Visitor

Post by Jon R » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:15 am

Nice pics Gaz,
and some nice cars, don't see many SD1 estates about, is that a one off ?

Haynes also produce manuals for aircraft inc the Hawker Hurricane, Spitfire and Lancaster Bomber.
They make great reading even if you don't have a plane. :)

Jon

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Good pictures Gary. You beat me to it. I was at the museum last weekend and was going to post up some piccies.
It was the Moto Guzzi GB club V Twin rally and we had a ride out down there with about 17 Guzzis.

The big American cars are just amazing.

My favourite car there though was the Aston Martin Lagonda. Just fab. So 80s. If a stormtrooper drove a car it would be one of those

Funny thing was on the way home on Monday I saw an gold estate version on the M25 with Dutch plates. That looked even more Fab.

Glad your round Britain trip went well.

See you soon

Kate :D

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:51 pm

Jon R wrote:Nice pics Gaz,
and some nice cars, don't see many SD1 estates about, is that a one off ?
Jon
Hi Jon, they apparently made two prototypes, the other ones at Gaydon, here's a picture I took of it earlier this year, it's a year earlier registered on a 'P'.

Apparently the 'R' reg one at Haynes was Sir Michael Edwardes (BL chairman of the 70's), he liked the prototype so much he used it as his daily runaround for a while before it went to Haynes museum.

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/concept ... d1-estate/
TDHFastback wrote:Good pictures Gary. You beat me to it. I was at the museum last weekend and was going to post up some piccies.
It was the Moto Guzzi GB club V Twin rally and we had a ride out down there with about 17 Guzzis.
Kate :D
Great pics Kate, yup, the Lagonda was a terrific display of 80's excess, looks like you had a great Guzzi trip and probably enjoyed the bike display on the upper floor.

Looks like your visit was wetter than our day.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.