Aerocoat. Powder coating and wheel refurbishment.

Give your buying feedback here - one thread per company, please.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Aerocoat. Powder coating and wheel refurbishment.

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:02 pm

I have been planning to refurbish my alloy wheels ever since I bought my coupe, as they had previously been done VERY amateurishly using a grinder and an aerosol and corrosion was causing me an issue with slow air loss on one wheel.

I was planning to do the work myself, but the layers of paint and corrosion meant I would have to have them shot blasted before I could even think about filling and painting. With my costs and time scale rising, I looked again at professional repair places, but was put off by non-fixed pricing and most places only committing to a "cosmetic only" repair.

Just as I was going to give up I found these guys - http://www.aerocoat.co.uk/ and gave them a call.

Fixed price? Yes. £40 + VAT per wheel.

Attention to detail? Yes. The whole wheel is shot blasted then shot peened to smooth the surface before filling, priming and powder coating to any colour including metallics. The outside, inside and the tyre well are all finished to the same standard ensuring a good air seal. And powder coating gives a much harder finish than regular 2-pack paint or laquer.

I picked my wheels up today and I was blown away at the quality of workmanship. They had even repainted my centre caps as they had found some blemishes and wanted to guarantee the colours matched.

I have no affiliation with the company and it's not like me to gush, but I feel their hard work and good value deserves my recommendation.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: Aerocoat. Powder coating and wheel refurbishment.

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:18 pm

Sounds good - can we see some piccies?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:59 pm

That means I'll have to wash it! :lol:

It's sugar beet season here in norfolk and the roads are awash with mud.

I'll try and get a pic fresh out of the car wash.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:11 pm

The air always smells interesting when the beet factories are working
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:06 pm

Are there many police constables in your area this time of year on the beat?

Kate :roll:
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Some pics following a wash in the grimy Norfolk rain.

The "silver" on the powder coat comes across as more of a "light metallic grey", but the effect works and the finish is flawless.

Also, if anyone is interested, the Goodyear Eagle Assymetrical 2 tyres that I have just had fitted have transformed the car after replacing the Chinese "Engineered in Australia" Altenzos that were on when I bought it. Quieter, smoother, more stable and driving on wet roads no longer feels like black ice. Very impressed.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:40 am

They look very nice. I had some Altenzos on a car out here - they were OK and wet roads were rarely an issue :)

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:43 am

They look very smart Tom
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997