What Have I Done?

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: What Have I Done?

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:20 pm

Great news Gavin and thanks for letting me know! Hope you're pleased with the car, if you're after any bits of trim or range-wide components i'm pulling a 99 Si saloon apart at the moment.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Palio

Post by Palio » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:25 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Great news Gavin and thanks for letting me know! Hope you're pleased with the car, if you're after any bits of trim or range-wide components i'm pulling a 99 Si saloon apart at the moment.
I'm sure I'll need bits, but not sure what yet - I'll have to have a good poke round it!

The grey dash top is split as well as lifted, so I'll be looking for one at some point. I assume they are different on the saloon, but as I really have no idea (yet, I'll get some reading done eventually) I'm mentioning it anyway. Passenger mirror glass is cracked too, but I guess those are fairly easy to find. I expect there will be a bit of a list by the time I've finished!

I'll be sorting a few mechanical bits (blowing exhaust is top of the list, now the header is done!), then using for a while before deciding on anything more expensive. I've only driven it home so far (about 80 miles), but it's so far so good driving it.
Citroen Dyane 6
Fiat 127 1050CL
Fiat 127 Palio
Fiat Strada 65CL
Fiat Panda 45CL
Fiat Uno 70SL
Fiat Uno Selecta
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley
Fiat Panda 85S
Rover 820 Sterling
Fiat Coupe 20V
Fiat Panda 4x4
Abarth Punto EsseEsse

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:55 am

Saloon and fastback dashes are the same, it's the coupé that has a different dash. I have a beige dash in good condition so you would need to spray it with dye. I might know of a good condition grey dash but i'd have to check.

As for the passenger door mirror glass, you're right, they are easy to find. Look on your other door and you have one there! :wink: I'll have a look and check to see if the door mirror glasses are in good condition and if the heaters work - i'll let you know.

Ebay is a good source for new exhaust parts but they're getting thin on the ground now - i struggled to get the bits for mine recently. If you are definitely keeping the car for a while, try http://demandengineering.co.uk/ in Ipswich for a stainless exhaust. Dusan (Alucard 7002 on here) had a stainless exhaust for his 1999 820 built by them and they did a superb job.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Palio

Post by Palio » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:55 pm

Brilliant thanks.

I guess the stainless is quite expensive. I'd prefer to know it's staying long term before doing that - it may well do.

Dash I'd like to sort out as the cracking is a bit annoying - the lifting isn't annoying though.....

Today's faults are a broken rear ashtray (not too much of an issue except it's rolling around on the floor), and a stuck electric passenger seat! That's more of an issue as it's fully forward & unusable. I've got the relays clicking & the backrest works, but not the sliding back bit - can't see a manual method of moving it back, so there may be a plea for help in a more appropriate section in the next few days. I had a hunt round and it seems common & often fuse related (can't see a problem fuse, but I may be looking in the wrong place - Haynes manual on order as I don't have any handbooks etc).

So it's here and throwing various faults at me, just to keep me on my toes.
Citroen Dyane 6
Fiat 127 1050CL
Fiat 127 Palio
Fiat Strada 65CL
Fiat Panda 45CL
Fiat Uno 70SL
Fiat Uno Selecta
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley
Fiat Panda 85S
Rover 820 Sterling
Fiat Coupe 20V
Fiat Panda 4x4
Abarth Punto EsseEsse

deano
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by deano » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:58 pm

I doubt the Haynes manual will be any use for the seats...
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:59 pm

Depends how you define expensive - Dusan said it was about £3-400. Compare that to the likes of Fik-Twit who are likely to charge something in the region of £2-250 and it suddenly seems better value.

Now factor in they won't know what they're doing with a car they rarely see and also i have an admission of guilt dated about 2006 from them for damage they did to my coupé that took me several days and a special tool and 6 new manifold to downpipe studs to sort out and has just resulted in the failure of my front Lambda sensor (possibly the back one as well) and the stainless steel one fitted by engineers who check threads properly (instead of forcing the nearest available nut on with a windy gun) is now much cheaper.
deano wrote:I doubt the Haynes manual will be any use for the seats...
Spot on Dean - i don't think the Haynes Book of Fantasy even covers electric seat faults!

The fuse is ok though as the backrest is still working. If you can, get in the passenger seat and push with you feet on the floor while tapping the backwards button no the seat base. That might be enough to free it. Trouble is you can't get it out until you can get it back unless you're really lucky.

There's some literature online here that might be useful for you, inlcuding handbooks :

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mercedade » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Palio wrote:and a stuck electric passenger seat! That's more of an issue as it's fully forward & unusable.
Mine would quite often stick in the fully forward position - sometimes I had to hold the forward button down again before pressing backwards and that would sometimes get it moving. It was as if it had 'slipped' off the windy-worm.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Palio

Post by Palio » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks everyone.

Sorry for waltzing in and asking a million questions. You are right, the Haynes manual doesn't even list the fuses! The link to the owners manuals etc is great thank you - I looked everywhere online & couldn't find anything - well obviously not quite everywhere........

I've spent some time trying to get under the seat to check connections & trying to push back with my feet while using the button (both are very difficult with it so far forwards). The relays are clicking now, after I did a sort of reset with the battery, but it just will not move backwards (or forwards, thanks Adrian I'd tried that, but don't assume anything other than my mechanical incompetence). Is there any manual way of winding it back, surely there must be? It's going to have to move back on the runner even if I get it out (though that might be tricky from what you say) - I don't care if it never goes forward again, but my passengers tend to have legs & it's no good where it is. Is there anyone on the Forum who's likely to have found a way to release the seats if they are stuck?

You're right about stainless of course, and I'd normally look at that. It feels a bit premature to look at a £400 system on a £500 car I've had 2 days, as there have been other expenses already. I'll look into that place though thanks, even if it's just for pointers for somewhere nearer (unless they can mail order it). Maybe I can bodge it for a couple of months - that's more my area of expertise! At least then I'll be happier spending on it by then.......
Citroen Dyane 6
Fiat 127 1050CL
Fiat 127 Palio
Fiat Strada 65CL
Fiat Panda 45CL
Fiat Uno 70SL
Fiat Uno Selecta
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley
Fiat Panda 85S
Rover 820 Sterling
Fiat Coupe 20V
Fiat Panda 4x4
Abarth Punto EsseEsse

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:13 pm

I spent quite a bit of time looking at exhaust systems for the 800. The good news for you is by having the engine with the lowest output, you can pretty much pick and choose any parts of any 800 system without adversely affect performance. All the Mk2 exhaust components are interchangable, the only difference being bore size, some internal baffle changes on the larger engine variants and the diesel mid section is longer due to there being no cat. There may also be some tailpipe details that differ. Last time I looked, Rimmers were selling certain exhaust sections at clearance prices.

See what you can find, it won't matter if you have a KV6 mid section with a diesel rear box. It will fit and work.

If you had a Turbo, you would have no choice but to go for stainless. And I believe the same now applies to the Honda engine cars.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:50 pm

A Fine looking machine there Gavin! Great colour too.

My vote definitely goes for stainless systems. I asked the boys to build mine to clear the sump and crossmember properly so you no longer clout the system on the odd speedbump ;-)

Mine is a 2.5" straight through, it's a bit on the fruity side for TheOldMan's taste but you can ask for whatever silencer you want, baffled or absorption.

Cost me £480 from the manifold back, fabricated there and then. Cheap when you realise it took them 12 1/2 hours to do it! I have no Cat, they are about £50 extra. Plus they can weld it in the correct place, nice and close to the engine so they get properly warm to fly through the emissions test.

Lifetime warranty and if you use the Ipswich branch of Longlife exhausts I can refer you (or anyone else for that matter) and get you a 10% discount.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:52 pm

The KV6 exhaust is a unique bit of kit Tom, very strange looking in places as well! Not even sure it will bolt up to other 800 exhaust bits either - for example just behind the flage on the rear section, there's a resonator box. As far as i can see on the one i have, this alters the flange so it won't bolt onto the rest of any other 800 system. Maybe it's an oddball one i have but the ones i've seen online are all similar.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:58 am

I knew about the resonator box, but I wasn't aware of the flange being different. I was just going by the fact that some of the larger engine cars share a mid section, so I assume that the parts are interchangable. Also I think there are only one style of flange gasket for each joint.

Obviously I haven't tried to test my theories, but I was going to try something similar on my own car until you came to the rescue with your stainless system.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Palio

Post by Palio » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:59 am

Thanks again folks. Exhaust now on the radar - I'll have a hunt round & see what's what. Middle section needed, and the back box is not long for this world.

The most excellent piece of news is that my mechanic managed to fix the front seat for me while he had it up on the ramps looking at the exhaust. Seat is now back & seems to be working ok (I'll tell passengers to leave it alone though I think!). It took him about 5 mins, and cost me £10 for a drink. Happy now!!!
Citroen Dyane 6
Fiat 127 1050CL
Fiat 127 Palio
Fiat Strada 65CL
Fiat Panda 45CL
Fiat Uno 70SL
Fiat Uno Selecta
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley
Fiat Panda 85S
Rover 820 Sterling
Fiat Coupe 20V
Fiat Panda 4x4
Abarth Punto EsseEsse

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:24 am

I only found out when the exhaust on the Sterling rotted through. The initial plan was to rob the KV6 and do whatever patching was necessary then buy a new system for the Sterling a bit at a time and fit it. When i crawled under the KV6 i realised that could never happen and you know the rest of that story! :wink:

To be honest i thought the same as you about all the bits being interchangeable but when you start digging in something like the Klarius webcat it all becomes as clear as mud :

http://lvawebcat.com/webforms/frmmain.a ... ng=English

In fairness i have heard of the diesel system being fitted to petrol turbo models, for the simple reason it's bigger bore than the other petrols and has less back pressure - apparently works well. I expect they're about as plentiful as rocking horse farriers these days though.

On a slightly different note, a very early Mk1 820 has come up for sale and apparently has a stainless system. Howere it will be a non-cat car (it's a 1986 820Si) so the length will be a bit different and also it's an M-Series engine.

If it's any help :

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13903&p=138907#p138907

I expect the exhaust is now full of spiders and other creepy-crawlies as it's stood for so long though.

Good news on the seat Gavin and good luck with the exhaust!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:10 am

Hello Gavin and welcome,

Saw this one up for sale recently, quite a detailed ad if I remember correctly. I would be interested to know how many Sterlings are actually fastbacks now, considering most were saloons. I only have fastbacks including a KV6 Sterling and I think that must be very rare now. Not worth any more though... :¬(
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)