The value going up?

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The value going up?

Post by Manalishi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:42 am

Hi folks,
I'm not totally held in the dark as I use the internet, but it's hard for me to keep track of the development regarding our cars value in the UK. Are the prices rising? Is there any demand for well kept Rover 800s or is it even starting to be regarded as a classic among "the commons"?

Here in Sweden there is no market whatsoever for British cars, maybe 20 R800s are alive and not many more were sold over the years, so the market is very small. My coupe would probably sell for a fair price if another nutter were interested, but the regular market would probably reject it as "useless".
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The value going up?

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:18 am

I've been following the thread about insurance values with some interest. When I first joined the forum, I was made to feel that I paid WAY too much for my 800 - £1100 about 3 years ago. Some members pointed out that they had never paid more than £300 for their cars.

Since then I've spent close to the same amount on repairs, improvements and maintenance, not that that bothers me as I always looked at the car as a hobby rather than an investment.

It is currently insured for £2500 (not an agreed value) and I will look to increase this and verify it at my next renewal, especially as I'm considering paying for some significant bodywork repairs soon.

As ever with any car, aside from the well publicised "investment classics" prices in ads still vary wildly, and the price will be determined by how quickly you want a sale and the right buyer to come calling. I don't want to sell my car but if I did, I wouldn't take less than £2500 as that's what I feel it is worth, but if I put it through an auction what would I expect to get? £200? Would it even get a bid?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:02 pm

I've seen a few well cared for examples for sale recently at between £1,000 and £2,000. A red Mk1 820i was up for £1,500 and it was spotless.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:08 pm

I truly believe the value will rise. Obviously it will never reach any Jag or Aston levels, but I think the public will get to appreciate the Rovers from the Honda-Era. I think a good original and well kept car will rise and get the status it really deserves.

This is my third Roveronda (620ti-216 coupe-820coupé) and they have all been very very good vehicles. Sturdy, pleasant, cheap to run and with fewer issues than people around me tend to have with their cars.

If I understand it correctly P5Bs are really rising now, and I do have a P5B coupe in sight and I think that would even be an investment! My coupe will probably never leave me, I've had it for 8 years and the plan is to keep it in the family as my son strangely enough has become a genuine petrol head aswell.
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:09 pm

I will be putting mine up soon, I am hoping some where near £1000 , but as always it boils down to what someone will pay for it.. I might not be able to sell it so maybe stuck.. that will cause a few issues for me.. lol... they do appear to be making more money than they were but there are still some cheap ones out there.. as always has been the case from my point of view a good car will always fetch more interest and value than a wreck.. regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:48 pm

I can draw a parallel to the development of value of the Volvo Amazon 120-series here in Sweden. "Back in the days" you could buy 4 cars for a cag of beer and they looked lika a cag of beer aswell. Then these cars were scrapped, and the ones still on the market were the tidy, nice, original cars. And then values went up, big time! Now fairly ok cars fetch some hefty sums of money and it's truly a classic. Mint ones cost as much as a small apartment. The big difference is that the Volvo had (at least in Sweden) a highly overrated factor: everyone claimed it to be the best car ever built.

Here is a dilemma for the Rovers, every single person I meet thinks it's crap until I start explaining how well it works and how ridiculously fast it is for it's age and size. To be quite true, as my 820 is now, it handles a lot better than both my Accord and my Lexus GS. Not as quiet, but solid, stiff, refined, and with perfect balance on the motorway.

So why the rant for some British cars then? Top Gear have some responsibility I presume? Or what the hell happened back in the days to kill the reputation like that?
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Manalishi wrote:The big difference is that the Volvo had (at least in Sweden) a highly overrated factor: everyone claimed it to be the best car ever built.
I think that has carried over here to a point. I love them.
Here is a dilemma for the Rovers, every single person I meet thinks it's crap until I start explaining how well it works and how ridiculously fast it is for it's age and size.
For me this is part of the appeal. My father in law is a car snob. He has owned many "proper" classics in his time Healey 3000s, MGC, E-Type, etc. He now drive the latest of a long line of Audis. When I first bought the 800 he could not fathom my reasons. Then he rode in it.

"Did you fit these carpets?" "Is this leather standard?" "It's like a Bentley in here." "Good God it shifts!" "3 people can fit in the back? In a Coupe?" "You'll never get that in the boot. Oh, alright then..."

Etc..... :lol:
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:46 pm

traineefarmer wrote:[
For me this is part of the appeal. My father in law is a car snob. He has owned many "proper" classics in his time Healey 3000s, MGC, E-Type, etc. He now drive the latest of a long line of Audis. When I first bought the 800 he could not fathom my reasons. Then he rode in it.

"Did you fit these carpets?" "Is this leather standard?" "It's like a Bentley in here." "Good God it shifts!" "3 people can fit in the back? In a Coupe?" "You'll never get that in the boot. Oh, alright then..."

Etc..... :lol:
Haha Love it! :lol:
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:02 pm

tom and I bet the rover has less issues than the audi.. regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:23 pm

I generally find that people who slag off Rover cars have never actually owned one or driven one, but their wifes 4th aunties brothers nephew had one and it blew its head gasket. Oh what model did they have? One of them CityRovers, oh right that one, with the peugeot engine fitted then!!
Ok we all know the K series engine has an inherent weakness but not every Rover came with a K series engine. People are given a perception by the press and believe it. Over here Honda's are now labelled cars for old people, with Rover gone the press had to find another marque to throw the label at and Honda drew the short straw. My son learnt to drive 15 years ago, Civic's were top of the list of must have cars for young people, now they won't go near them.
As for values there is no doubt that they are on the rise but 800's started from such a low base, £25, £50,£75 could get you an 800 7 years ago when this Forum started, I even got given a Vitesse Coupe for nothing.£150 later and a bit of graft and it was on the road and very tidy. Back then 800's being advertised for £2500 would have been thought of as a joke, its not quite as unattainable as it once was.
Having said that the values are still too low.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:39 am

thamestyres wrote:tom and I bet the rover has less issues than the audi.. regards ricky
Me too! :wink: :D

I remember an acquaintance was offered a lift by someone with a Rover 75 at one point and he refused saying "It's a Rover, i'd rather walk!". This errr.....person ran a progression of dodgy Renaults (almost all of them died with HGF) and one day i happened to be driving home from my local town when i saw him hitching a lift. I stopped, he scurried up and through the open passenger window i said "It's a Rover, you'd rather walk!" and floored it.
Not being the sort of person that would deliberately leave someone struggling i stopped again and gave him a lift. And an education in equipment, performance, handling, reliability etc - i'm sure his underwear had changed colour and his ears must have been burning from my diatribe about how good Rovers were! :twisted:

Sadly he still owns a Renault but i suppose he couldn't sell it and recover the cost of all those head gasket repairs now! :lol:

On the subject of 800s going up in value, when i bought my Sterling (nearly 9 years ago now), £300 was a fair bit to pay for one and got me a nice example. Granted it needs a bit of TLC, a good wash, polish etc but still looks pretty good, even though i say it myself. Still fairly low mileage (111k) but i've been offered £5k (sight unseen) for it although i wouldn't consider selling. If i did though, i think it would be reasonable to put it up at £3000 minimum - where would i find another? Even if i did for say £300 again, it would cost me the rest of the £3k to get that to a known similar standard as pretty much everything has been done.

Even Rover 75/MG ZT values are on the up at the moment, the 800 must surely be rising in value. It also made the Practical Classics "Top 100" list for the first time which is a useful bit of knowledge (and evidence) for anyone struggling to persuade their insurers the 800 is a classic. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:10 pm

'sfunny how many people get out of their black/grey/silver euroboxes and say "this is nice" when getting into the 75...
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Just think - if they hadn't bought a Eurobox in the first place they could still have had the same as you! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

xpuffin
Regular Visitor

Post by xpuffin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:53 pm

Prices are Deffo firming up. Even the KV6 cars are making good money at the moment on EBay.
I'll not be at all surprised if the average price is into 4 figures next year.
Coupes and Vittys will be the biggest risers.
All IMO of course.
10 Rover 800's now and counting.
2x Mk1 827 Vitesse Fastbacks
3x 825 Coupe
Mk1 827 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Saloon
825 Sterling Fastback
820 Vitesse Coupe
820 O Series Mk1 Fastback.

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:00 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Just think - if they hadn't bought a Eurobox in the first place they could still have had the same as you! :wink: :D
+1
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock