Alucard7002 - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Alucard7002 - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:45 pm

CHR15E wrote:
traineefarmer wrote:I was struggling to understand why you had gone to the trouble of having the new plates made.

Then I saw them on the car...

I can't believe the difference the older font makes! Did you get them made locally or online? The guy I normally use has become very pernickety about legal stuff.
Ironic as I thought the old plates (new font) looked better. :D

Maybe I'm just so use to seeing it now?
I think it's just an age-suitable thing. Like seeing your dad wearing orange trainers.

Each to their own. Some people like to modernise their cars, some like to keep things "of the era". Mine's a bit of a mix at the moment, but I remember 1997 being a good year for me so I'd quite like climbing into my car to be a pleasant time warp back to the "good old days". :lol:
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:02 pm

It's a bit like putting a modern stereo in, double-DIN with a motorised screen, built in sat-nav, bluetooth and handsfree phone operation and umpteen other things that are now commonplace. All very nice for the features but totally out of place in a 20+ year old car, unless you were to make everything else on the car just as modern and then it would be a modern car in a 20+ year old shell.

I have to admit i've got a few modern touches on mine but most are hidden and functional rather than glaringly obvious. Even the USB charging socket i added is built into a switch blank in the bank of 4 to the right of the instruments.

The new style number plates just look wrong to me - on any vehicle but what Dusan has done with those really suits his car. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:51 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:It's a bit like putting a modern stereo in, double-DIN with a motorised screen, built in sat-nav, bluetooth and handsfree phone operation and umpteen other things that are now commonplace. All very nice for the features but totally out of place in a 20+ year old car, unless you were to make everything else on the car just as modern and then it would be a modern car in a 20+ year old shell.

I have to admit i've got a few modern touches on mine but most are hidden and functional rather than glaringly obvious. Even the USB charging socket i added is built into a switch blank in the bank of 4 to the right of the instruments.

The new style number plates just look wrong to me - on any vehicle but what Dusan has done with those really suits his car. :wink: :D
I get what you're saying but does that mean I need to sell all my TV's and other tech as they're too modern for the era my house was built in? :lol:
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:10 pm

CHR15E wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:It's a bit like putting a modern stereo in, double-DIN with a motorised screen, built in sat-nav, bluetooth and handsfree phone operation and umpteen other things that are now commonplace. All very nice for the features but totally out of place in a 20+ year old car, unless you were to make everything else on the car just as modern and then it would be a modern car in a 20+ year old shell.

I get what you're saying but does that mean I need to sell all my TV's and other tech as they're too modern for the era my house was built in? :lol:
YES! :lol:

My cottage is 200 years old, but don't worry my laptop was made by James Watt.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

austinpowers
Regular Visitor

Post by austinpowers » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Cracking work dude, impressed!!

Makes me want to get a welder and try stuff like this, obviously not on my lovely Sterling though :P

If you don't mind me asking how much did the sills cost?
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:00 pm

CHR15E wrote: I get what you're saying but does that mean I need to sell all my TV's and other tech as they're too modern for the era my house was built in? :lol:
That's where this bit comes in Chris :

"unless you were to make everything else on the car just as modern and then it would be a modern car in a 20+ year old shell"

Modern tech, tvs, computers, tablets, laptops etc in a 50+ year old house. Thing is it's more acceptable in a house than in a car where things have changed as technology moves on so the cars generally need to be "period correct" to be an accurate representation of what they were when new.
I say generally because there is the retro-mod movement - nothing to do with a bunch of rockers, Vespas/Lambrettas and Quadrophenia but more a case of updating a classic car with modern bits while keeping the outward appearance as it left the factory, except perhaps for the wheels and then usually something that is close to being a period-correct style.
For example, a Triumph 2500 PI with a modern set of 5-spoke alloys similar to those originally fitted and otherwise externally the same as it left the factory, most of the interior as it left the factory too but all trim refurbished using modern materials, added features such as heated seats with electric adjustment, electric widows, central locking, alarm/immobiliser etc, LED or HID headlamps that still look like the originals and then the piece de resistance, something like an RB25GTT engine and box from a Skyline/Stagea to keep the original 2.5L capacity and driven wheel configuration but with modern reliability, economy, unleaded capability and errrr............. oh yeah, GRUNT!!! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:16 pm

And I'm back!

Alive and survived which means I at least did something right!

Jokes aside car was faultless all the way to POL, and then onto Cambridge via another stop north of Brum.

Ate up the miles and rode like a dream all the way.

Thanks for the comments folks, Mr Powers (I'm afraid I don't know your name!) the sills were £75 a pair from Mark (fastback) on here.

Very good value if you ask me!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

austinpowers
Regular Visitor

Post by austinpowers » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:00 am

Alucard7002 wrote:And I'm back!

Alive and survived which means I at least did something right!

Jokes aside car was faultless all the way to POL, and then onto Cambridge via another stop north of Brum.

Ate up the miles and rode like a dream all the way.

Thanks for the comments folks, Mr Powers (I'm afraid I don't know your name!) the sills were £75 a pair from Mark (fastback) on here.

Very good value if you ask me!
Don't know my name!! We're facebook friends :P And we went camping (a while ago with Alex and co).

I wonder if the new sills and welding have stiffened it up?
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:11 am

Welcome back Dusan! Glad to hear it all went well! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Excellent. Did you get any photos at POL?

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Woops just found your other thread!!!

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:03 pm

austinpowers wrote:
Don't know my name!! We're facebook friends :P And we went camping (a while ago with Alex and co).

I wonder if the new sills and welding have stiffened it up?
Doh! Hi Andy :lol:

I don't think so, the shell was no where near far enough gone that the rust was causing weakness.

The new polybushes and 4x new dampers is what's done it - apparently it now goes tripod around roundabouts while inside the 30mph limit 8)

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Have the plybushes really improved things Dusan?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:26 pm

dusan now you know what I was saying all those years ago at Bromley.... regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:56 pm

The polybushes are Superflex ones for a 600

http://www.superflex.co.uk/proddetail.p ... 77-16.7103

Unlike the Power Flex bushes that are in the subframe I gave you Dave these are much larger. They completely fill the subframe mountings and as a result are a fair bit stiffer.

As to how much of the improvement is in the new bushes and Vitesse spec lower wishbones vs. OEM as the old ones had done 126,000 miles. Of which the last 60k have been driven by me and my miles are like dog years if you catch my drift.

In other news I took the car for it's MOT on Saturday - Passed with flying colours with the exception of the crack in the windscreen on the passenger side - £90 excess on my policy to get it replaced so at some point I'll do that.

Ricky - what did you say all those years ago? I honestly cannot remember, sorry!

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B