Model Rover 800

Moderators: guru, SJG

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Model Rover 800

Post by pat5338 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:30 am

I know that both Matchbox and Corgi produced models of the Series 1 Rover 800, as I have a number of them in my collection, but is anyone aware of a manufacturer who produced a Series 2 version?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Model Rover 800

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:01 pm

None that i know of Pat - if you do find one, let me know as i'm after one as well! The Matchbox and Corgi models are ok but as you say, no Mk2s and not really big enough.

I remember making one from a plastic kit many moons ago but it was a 1:43 kit and fairly sure that was also a Mk1, can't remember if the kit was French or German but i do remember it was gold - must have had a long term influence!
Seem to recall the model manufacturer was better known for railway models in general but having had a quick scour of ebay, found nothign useful.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

NONOTE
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by NONOTE » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:47 am

Hi Pat
There was a bit of a discussion about this ages ago on the forum (sorry can't remember when or where).

There are some dealer issue Mk2 models kicking about, the paper weight things about 1/43 (Dinky toy) scale made of "pewter" or something resembling it. They come up on ebay every blue moon.

I did see a picture of a matchbox model sized Mk2 on an obscure Japanese, maybe Chinese, website which seemed to be advertising chinese ROWE (?) branded pushbikes. I never did find the manufacturer.

Would be nice if one of the companies took it on, they were the best selling car in their segment for quite a while.

If I ever come across something I'll post it on here.
Some big lads did it.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:27 am

Maybe we should approach Corgi Vanguards, after all about the only model they don't make is the 800, they even have models of the Allegro! :shock:

https://www.corgi.co.uk/austin-allegro- ... ynard.html

They have Land and Range Rovers from almost every incarnation, other Rovers such as the P6 and SD1 and loads of other obscure stuff (Peugeot 309 Style anyone?) so why not the 800, preferably in Mk2 form?
Before the Mk1 owners think i'm being biased and/or ignoring them, there have been Mk1 800s made in model form.

I'm sure that not only would we, as 800 owners, want a model but model collectors who collect the models for that purpose in itself would want one as well - it's like a bit of missing motoring history not having an 800 model! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:31 pm

I had an aunt who bought an Allegro, and she was advised to be very careful if she had a puncture about jacking it up! Since she was in her 80's, I suggested that she called out the AA if she ever had a puncture, then they could deal with any resultant mishaps! I read somewhere that if you tried jacking up one corner to change a wheel there was a real possibility the back window could pop-out! Never did find out whether that was true or not!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 pm

I had an Allegro once while between SD1 V8s and had to change a few of the tyres/wheels and the rear screen remained intact. It was one of the "run-out" models (1500LE in Denim(?) Blue metallic) so actually had a round steering wheel! :shock:
To be fair, it wasn't a bad little car for what it was, went well enough (light body and a 1500cc tranverse engine helped) and unlike the two Maxis i'd previously experienced (one 1500, t'other was a 1750) it didn't drink like Oliver Reed on a bender.

My previous SD1 V8 had died after i renewed the cam and followers, the new cam had metal fatigue and literally sheared into several parts, of which i managed to retrieve 4 from the block, the others went into the sump. Sent the parts of the cam back to the supplier who confirmed (after sending it to their supplier) it was metal fatigue and refunded my money. However it had chewed lumps out of the block when it went so i was now short of an engine as well!
The Allegro was temporary transport while i saved up for a replacement SD1 which i actually traded the Allegro against, doubling the money paid for it! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:17 am

Did we have more punctures in those days? I cannot remember when I last had a puncture - and that is on New Zealand roads where a great many roads are unsealed gravel. Maybe tyres have become much better made.
Glad you had a good experience with an Allegro, I had two Maxi's (not at the same time!) and with a growing family I had good experiences with both.
(But this is getting away from Rover 800s)
regards

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:12 am

I think we did get more punctures back then, tyre technology has improved and they are more resistant to punctures these days. Also i suspect these days neither of us drive the same amount of miles so the probability is reduced and also we probably have new tyres fitted when they're needed instead of part-worns or a couple of wheels with better tyres from the scrappers like i fitted on my Allegro.

I've just fitted a set of new tyres on my Volvo, officially "budget radials", unofficially "Chinese Ditchfinders" but i have to say i'm very impressed with them.
The first (and most noticeable) difference is they are much quieter than what was on there (an assortment of various different brands of part-worn Chinese Ditchfinders!) and grip a hell of a lot better, in wet and dry conditions. A couple of weeks back i was coming back along a road i don't know that well and hadn't realised my speed had crept up - a lot! Then i hit an unexpected "S" bend! Tiny amount of noise as they gripped but went through without a problem - i know on the old tyres i would have got intimate with the scenery!
The brand is "Invovic" if anyone wants a cheap but good budget radial.

Totally unlike the tyres currently on my Sterling, a set of "Jinyu" tyres, definitely Chinese Ditchfinders! Only reasn they're on there is because i bought another set of wheels and they were on there and had reasonable tread. The idea was use them over summer and get some wear out of them then fit the Falkens that were on the original wheels.
On my Coupé i have a set of Austone Athena tyres, originally bought as they were cheap and i had the MoT coming up. Once fitted i found they were surprisingly good and did some research into them. Turns out they're Australian made and have a very good reputation there. As such they will be staying on the Coupé, for the time being at least. Meanwhile i must pull my finger out and get the Falkens onto the Sterling again! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

NONOTE
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by NONOTE » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Back to the model Rover 800s:

http://rover800series.web.fc2.com/minicar.html

Gives a bit of info on the Western Models Mk 2 if you can be bothered to do the Translate thing.
Hope the link works

Steve
Some big lads did it.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:52 pm

ROVER 800 Miniature Cars Collection

1993 ROVER 820 Si (1/43 scale)

by Western Model Cars
Made in GB

It is the manufacturer of Western Model Cars.
I think that there is no other minicar of Mk 2.
A member from USO 800 got information that "Mini cars in Mr. Shibuya were sold to two mini cars in Shibuya and only two mini cars were sold" and immediately ran to buy.
Is this color I purchased Nordic Blue?
It seems there was another red (Night Fire Red?) (The person who gave the information was purchased).

According to the shops purchased, this manufacturer seems to be putting more emphasis on the model of the airplane recently, and that mini cars have not arrived all along recently.
It is probably out of print.
By the way I made 16,800 yen. It's a premium price.
If it is a minicar of this level, it is usually 3,000 yen if it is high.
If you get 4,000 yen, BMW and Mercedes will be able to buy super sophisticated mini cars.
But, because it is a minor car, even a minicar was a miracle. . .

The result and finish are inconvenient, but it is exactly Mk 2.
The wiper is bashfully elaborate. I think that it is hard to understand in the photograph, but the details of the blade part are reproduced. It is properly two steps.
. . . What is it, it's too long to protrude.

I think that the rear license plate is yellow so I think it reproduces the British car but why is the left steering wheel.
The filler opening and side turn signal are not reproduced.
On the back is ROVER 820Si 1993 written.
There is no moving part. Since the tire is caught in the body and it is difficult to turn around, the tire will not run even if rolling it.

There is no Mk 2 minicar! I thought, I did not even look for it from the beginning, but there is. surprised. Is it still buried somewhere?
I want red. . . . If possible, coupe (← it seems nothing ...)

ROVER 800 STERLING (1/43 scale)
by CORGI Toys Ltd.
(Made in GB)

ROVER 100 Dear Mr. Dewey 's gem passed away.
Dewey's collection is wonderful.
The collection which is introduced on Dewey 's website is a must - see.
It seems to be a considerable ROVER collector.

It is whitish, but it is silver.
It says ROVER 800 Sterling in the package.

Although the filler port has been reproduced, the turn signal on the side is omitted.

There is definitely a 827 engine when opening the hood. . . . Is it hard to understand?
Open the door, hood, trunk and sunroof.
The seat will also collapse. It is not complaining if it is made more carefully with this!
But when turning over and seeing the back, it is secretly reproduced to the engine oil element.

By the way this mini car was written as 1 / 43scale in the box, but I think that the total length is about 129 mm, so it is 1/36 scale.

ROVER STERLING (1/60 scale)

by Matchbox
(Made in Macau)

Based on the information of the boyfriend saying "There are 800 series minicars in Rover Tokai," we took contact with ROVER Tokai and bought it.

I felt as thoughtful, I can not see Sterling.

There seems to be about five different color patterns besides this.

It is a mini car of 820 SLi (Night Fire Red) and ROVER 75 (Copper Leaf Red) owned by Hiro-chan. As for ROVER 75, details are unknown (manufacturer is SCHUCO), but regarding 820, it is the same as what I have above.

Both are good colors! !

Not sure how well that worked but that was GoogleTranslates effort! I've added the photo links in the most likely places, hopefully it all makes sense!

Thanks for the original link Steve! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks to both of you.
Fascinating information about Western Models, a company I have never heard of, yet lived less than 25 miles from when they were making the model Rovers.
It is a very interesting subject, and nice to know that there is a possibility I might find one sometime in the future, if lucky, and my pockets are deep enough!
Thanks

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Maybe we should all email Western Models and insist they do a production run of the 800 models they have?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

NONOTE
Regular Visitor

Post by NONOTE » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Found this Mk2 3d printed model, bit pricey for me at £50 plus notes and it would need painting or "pewtering" for the display cabinet.

https://images2.sw-cdn.net/product/pict ... 979837.jpg

Had absolutely nothing to do with 3d printing so really can't comment on what the finish is like or indeed how the company operates but have added it to the thread for interest.

Steve
Some big lads did it.

NONOTE
Regular Visitor

Post by NONOTE » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:44 pm

Some big lads did it.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks Steve - they offer two finishes, the smooth at £58 and ultrasmooth at ~£90 but they still can't spell Sterling! They spell it with two "i"s instead of an "e" and an "i", you'd think at that price they'd get the basics right! :roll:

I'm sure Majorette made a 1:43 Rover 800 already painted for a lot less money! Can't find any listed just now on ebay though.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate