Original Rover radio/stereo

Moderators: guru, SJG

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Original Rover radio/stereo

Post by Manalishi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Is it even possible to find the original radio fitted to the later 800s? I need it to work, thats the only important stuff except I would like it to be exterior-ally ok. :shock: :lol:
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Original Rover radio/stereo

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:15 pm

It's possible to find them Henrik, the problem is finding one that firstly works and secondly comes with the code.

Have you got the CD changer or are you not fussed about that? Also, is there a problem with your old one or does it just not exist?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rover-radio- ... 3180530974

Just found that on fleabay but you'd need to check what frequencies your radio stations transmit on to be sure this would pick them up as it's a UK model and the steps between tuning frequencies may be different - i know that's the case for USA radios.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Manalishi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:32 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:15 pm
It's possible to find them Henrik, the problem is finding one that firstly works and secondly comes with the code.

Have you got the CD changer or are you not fussed about that? Also, is there a problem with your old one or does it just not exist?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rover-radio- ... 3180530974

Just found that on fleabay but you'd need to check what frequencies your radio stations transmit on to be sure this would pick them up as it's a UK model and the steps between tuning frequencies may be different - i know that's the case for USA radios.
My car doesnt have the CD-changer so no problem there. I'm just fed up with lousy modern *blip blip LED blink* stereos. I know the modern stuff is so much better regarding amps and sound, but I would really like something like the old, original radio/cassette player from the 90s. I used to have a Clarion E950 ages ago in a different car and I loved the punch it had in the buttons. Metal, aluminium, no silly plastic fake stuff. :lol:

Wanting originality I'm considering the original radio. Though it must work!
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:52 pm

That one on fleabay allegedly works and has the code, question is, what frequencies do your favourite stations broadcast on over there in Sweden?

Next thing, the original radios have a bad reputation for losing buttons because the clip is flimsy - some people run a very thin bead of silicone sealant along the top edge of each button to provide adhesion, springiness and a bit more of a firm action.

If you have the CD changer lead installed, i have a few CD changers, fairly sure i could find one that worked for you if you wanted to add it later.

Another good reason to have a CD player, especially a Philips one, in a Rover 800 is that the CD was also launched in 1986, June 9th officially if memory serves (i could check the commemorative goblet from Z-D Day at work aka Zero Defects Day which coincided with the launch of the CD as we now know it, the release of "Brothers in Arms" on CD and something to do with MTV - their launch date maybe?) and the 800 was launched a month or so later. Also the 800 was one of the first cars to have a CD changer as standard and throughout the production run, Philips supplied all the standard audio kit for the 800 - Clarion supplied the "Premium Sound System", only available as an option on late Mk1/early Mk2 Sterlings but was meant to be standard kit on the early Coupes.

Just a useless bit of trivia for you there but all kind of 800 related! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:26 pm

CD players were around a good while before that Dave ,
I remember seeing them in hi-fi shop windows 1983/84.
Hardly any bugger could afford one though, certainly not me :(
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:04 pm

deano wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:26 pm
CD players were around a good while before that Dave ,
I remember seeing them in hi-fi shop windows 1983/84.
Hardly any bugger could afford one though, certainly not me :(
Not in todays format Dean. I was still at school in 83/84 and i worked on the development of the first/second gen CD players as part of my apprenticeship (yes, the 2nd gen was already in development before the first was launched) but the basic technology goes back to the late 70s when Philips launched the "Video-Disc 2000" which in effect was a 12" CD that contained a film.

The size was rationalised to 5", Sony had put up the money and some technical know-how but the bulk of the know-how, development, component manufacturing and so on was done where i worked in Southampton. Because of staff privileges, i was able to buy a pre-launch version of the first CD midi-system hifi in about April 86 and the irony was i couldn't buy an CDs until the official launch date although the manageress of the staff shop did manage to get me three that were on a Philips or Philips-owned (Polydor) label.

Also as part of my duties, i had to drill a 3/8" hole through a pre-release copy of Brothers in Arms (the vinyl and cassette versions had been out a while at that time) to prove it would still play. It did as the boast was it would play with a 1/4" hole through it. I "volunteered" for a bit of "homework research" and got my boss to clear me taking it home to prove it would play on my CD player at home, just to be sure (and sneakily record it at the same time! :wink: :P ) that the player at work wasn't somehow rigged.

I know it was 86 when i got the hifi as i had to get it on finance and i wasn't old enough before that time, not that any CD players were available before then anyway!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:15 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:52 pm
That one on fleabay allegedly works and has the code, question is, what frequencies do your favourite stations broadcast on over there in Sweden?

Next thing, the original radios have a bad reputation for losing buttons because the clip is flimsy - some people run a very thin bead of silicone sealant along the top edge of each button to provide adhesion, springiness and a bit more of a firm action.

If you have the CD changer lead installed, i have a few CD changers, fairly sure i could find one that worked for you if you wanted to add it later.

Another good reason to have a CD player, especially a Philips one, in a Rover 800 is that the CD was also launched in 1986, June 9th officially if memory serves (i could check the commemorative goblet from Z-D Day at work aka Zero Defects Day which coincided with the launch of the CD as we now know it, the release of "Brothers in Arms" on CD and something to do with MTV - their launch date maybe?) and the 800 was launched a month or so later. Also the 800 was one of the first cars to have a CD changer as standard and throughout the production run, Philips supplied all the standard audio kit for the 800 - Clarion supplied the "Premium Sound System", only available as an option on late Mk1/early Mk2 Sterlings but was meant to be standard kit on the early Coupes.

Just a useless bit of trivia for you there but all kind of 800 related! :wink: :D
Interesting stuff on the cd Dave, I got Brothers in arms on vinyl for Christmas and I recall the cds being available too. Also back in the days of the 80s all cds always had bonus tracks to make people buy them.

I can tell for sure my car hasnt got any lead for a cd changer unless ofcourse it has been removed. Unlikely. I dont need or want a changer, to be honest I dont listen to cds at all after Spotify came but I always keep one or two in the glove compartment. I’ve swapped all my speakers including the tweetets so the speakers are really good.

The big downside in using an old unit Is the lack of aux, line in but a cassette player is useful as it can be used with the special tape with a cord, or even bluetooth. Our Lexus has cassetteplayer and 6 disc changer but unfortunately not aux or BT so I use one of those special tapes instead.

Our radio uses the MHz range from 87-108 or something like that.
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:44 am

I've sent the guy a request on the shipping to sweden. I presume it's going to be too steep...
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:54 am

A quick look suggests that you use the same intervals (separation between carrier frequencies) as us Henrik so unless there's something i've missed (possible because it was only a quick look) then you should be ok with that radio. The other thing is i've heard in the past people can listen to various stations in various countries in Europe/Scandinavia on their UK radios while touring abroad so another pointer to it being ok.

Hopefully the P&P isn't too bad, if he won't send to Sweden, i'm happy to help and forward it at cost but won't know the cost until we know the weight. I know sending stuff to Sweden recently reduced in cost as last time i sent you something, the girl in the Post Office said the prices were coming down soon.

Looking at this :

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/inter ... l-standard

it appears a parcel up to 2kg (more than enough for a radio!) is now only £12.10 and i'm sure the wheel nuts i sent you were more like £18 - the weight brackets have changed too, fairly sure it was 500g, 1kg and 2kg before, now there are more steps in price/weight.

However if memory serves that radio is for sale for about £90 so the seller may insist on sending it with compensation to that level so the price may be higher. The compensation on the service i've linked to above is £20 maximum, International Tracked is only a couple of quid more with more compensation (can't find an exact figure for £90 compensation) but gives you an idea :

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/inter ... -confirmed

Good luck with it! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:34 am

Ive tried to find out but cant find anything on the specs for the R960. How many Watts etc? I’m not a loud player really but I want to be able to push the speakers some.

Still Im not sure. It would be nice to get an original radio for the looks but £90 + shipping is a lot of money. I also presume they dont have the simple din-connectors so could be some trouble getting it wired in. Oh decisions........
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:55 am

Standard ISO-DIN connectors, you should already have the wiring in the car for them. If memory serves they are 22W x4 or 25W x 4, the exact spec is hidden somewhere and i only found it by a circuitous route looking for something else.

No good looking it up as an R960 as that is Rovers model number, you need the Philips model number which is 22DC something.

I'll have a look shortly for other radios on fleabay for you.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:46 pm

The wiring isnt original behind the dash Dave. 25 years of ’progress’... ;)
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:49 pm

I've had another, better look on fleabay for you Henrik, there are a lot of cheaper units around but..........

.............. the trouble with them is they are either untested, won't give a reasonable audio output or would just look wrong in an 800 of any description.
The only one i've found as an option is a similar price, has been decoded (code removed) and is an R950 instead of a 960 :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-R950-R ... 2696597345

There are also pics of the back so you can see the plugs it takes.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:50 pm

Manalishi wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:46 pm
The wiring isnt original behind the dash Dave. 25 years of ’progress’... ;)
Curses and naughty words! Has someone "amputated" it? All is not lost, it should have the remains of it somewhere and the plugs can be bought relatively cheaply then connect the wires to the flying wires on the plugs.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:08 pm

I don't think it's needed Dave, today it has a DIN-multiplug (pictured below) probably not the original, but there are various converters. I just ripped out my third trial stereo in a week, as I really hate the modern units where you have to go into menues to find fader, bass, treble etc. Ridiculous! The one I replaced in the first place was better, although fairly modern (5-6years old Kenwood) still usable with buttons and knobs. Unfortunately that started to make a white noise on one channel.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98