My Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Lodein
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989

Post by Lodein » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:10 am

I forgot, I did the same with the part near the windshield that had a few small spots of rust, but I don't have a photo

As I said the car had 2 scratchs on the front bumper and when I washed my car with a Karcher I first damaged the varnish of the front fender and in an other time the paint of the front bumper. :cry:
As I couldn't accept this on such beautiful car, I decided to make repaint this parts because It is to difficult for me to do it perfectly.

Some pictures before

and after

But stupidly I forgot to tell the painter to paint the mirror shell :cry: !!! It will be for a next time or never...

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Manalishi » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:35 pm

Still not many scratches for such an old car. Overall it's in a very good condition. My black Mk1 Vitesse is a rolling restoration, one thing at the time but mechanically and when it comes to body work. Fortunately mine is very undented and straight so that is good.

I think yours is very nice Lodein, a real jem!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:20 am

Thank you Manalishi

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:35 pm

As I said in this post :
http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p156340

The journalist like the handling of the manual gearbox of the Rover 825.

This is for me a bad point on my car, and I don't know if it is my car who has a problem (It is old) or if it comes from me (and I am older than my car !!! ) or if it is the Rover 800 manual gearbox who has a problem.
I'l will explain my problem :
To put or output the 1st or 2nd or 3rd gear there is no problem, but when I want to output the 5th, it is very difficult. It takes me 3 or 4 times more time than the other gears and demands more efforts. For the 4th speed is not as the 5th which is the worse, but it is not as the 3 first one.

Do you have any idea about this ?

Lodein

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:57 pm

Lodein wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:35 pm
As I said in this post :
http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p156340

The journalist like the handling of the manual gearbox of the Rover 825.

This is for me a bad point on my car, and I don't know if it is my car who has a problem (It is old) or if it comes from me (and I am older than my car !!! ) or if it is the Rover 800 manual gearbox who has a problem.
I'l will explain my problem :
To put or output the 1st or 2nd or 3rd gear there is no problem, but when I want to output the 5th, it is very difficult. It takes me 3 or 4 times more time than the other gears and demands more efforts. For the 4th speed is not as the 5th which is the worse, but it is not as the 3 first one.

Do you have any idea about this ?

Lodein
"Unfortunately" my five speed box in my 827 is very smooth. It is actually just like my newer Accord with a six speed super smooth box. So, it sounds like there is a problem.

I have very little knowledge on what the problem could be though! Sorry.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:47 am

Thank you Manalishi for this information, and it is what I think.

So now does anyone have any idea what the problem is ?
Maybe it would be better to open a specific post for this ?

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:32 am

Lodein wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:47 am
Thank you Manalishi for this information, and it is what I think.

So now does anyone have any idea what the problem is ?
Maybe it would be better to open a specific post for this ?

Lodein
Do you know if the gearbox has ever been out of the car Lodein? Sometimes slight misalignment can occur when refitting the gearbox selector mechanism.

Alternatively the selector mechanism (between the shift lever in the cabin and the gearbox) has been known to wear, particularly on the bushes and a common repair is to replace one of the bushes with a universal joint that is usually taken from a spare steering column i believe as they are the right diameter.

I think there's a post/thread on it somewhere, i'll try to find it for you.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:37 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:32 am

http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1988

That's the thread, quite a lot of input using various methods from other members besides the original post. Gives you several options after inspecting to decide how to approach yours.

Also worth checking the hydraulics on your clutch and possibly bleeding them. The clutch uses the brake hydraulic fluid so if the brake fluid has ever run low, air could easly enter the clutch hydraulics too.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:25 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:37 am
scoobyh123 wrote:

http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1988
Thank you very much Scoobyh123 for this post, I ll read it in detail this weekend

scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:37 am

Also worth checking the hydraulics on your clutch and possibly bleeding them. The clutch uses the brake hydraulic fluid so if the brake fluid has ever run low, air could easly enter the clutch hydraulics too.
When we changed the clutch slave cylinder, we changed the brake hydraulic fluid and we made a purge, so normally it is good, but I will look it is easy and "it eat no bread"*

* It is a French sentence, I don't know if you use it

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:28 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:

Do you know if the gearbox has ever been out of the car Lodein? Sometimes slight misalignment can occur when refitting the gearbox selector mechanism.

I am sure that they never toot off the gearbox, but as I know the last owner, I'll ask him

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:37 pm

If the box hasn't been out then i'd definitely look at the selector mechanism and clutch. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:30 pm

So I read in détail the post, and I look at my car and I have not a lot of rotation in this part.

I put out the cutter pin, and I opened it to enlarge it and I put it on. Clearly It is better, no rotation in this parts now.

So I drived my car and if it is better, some times (But very very less than before) I have the same thing, It is difficult to get out the 5th speed ??? (It is possible to get it out, but you need more force to do it than the others, I'am not sure that I am clear)

I'll make an gearbox emptying, It is not a luxe, and It could be only better, and after I'll see...

But if you have another easy idear, I'll take it...

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:52 am

I am a member of an automobile association called The Factory Motors (TFM) and like every year, their general assembly takes place at the end of the year in the Lot et Garonne.
This year the meeting takes place in Bazens in the north-west of Agen. I had not as usual planned to take the National 10 and the A62 motorway, and I will avoid small towns like Chalais and Ribérac and will trace a path between the two which goes through Aubeterre sur Dronne, Montpon Ménestérol… which represent 188 km of departmental for 3:04 according to Google.

My car this year will be my Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack from 1989, first of all because it is very recent at home and if I have already done 1000 km there, I have not made a "long" trip. , and secondly because it is comfortable and rather efficient (29.5 '' at 1000m DA and 225 km / h at peak).

To avoid people on the road and especially because I am used to getting up early, I leave at 7.45 am after checking the oil level, the tire pressure and taking my tapes from the 1990s !! !. The odometer reads 110,886 km (don't panic on idling, the car is cold and has just started, see last photo).

First stop at the station to refuel because my gauge is not working, I don't want to take any risks. I take this opportunity to calculate my average over the 471 km previously traveled, and if the on-board computer gives me 9.5 l / 100, the reality is 9.86 l / 100 which is not bad.

So on our way south, but in very gloomy weather. After leaving Angoulême and its outskirts, I catch up with the D674 that I know. The car is comfortable and after a scare with the cassette player which I had not tested it works great. There is no one on the road and I will quickly arrive at Montmoreau Saint Cybard with its magnificent castle

I fork onto the D709, then the D10 to join Aubeterre sur Dronne famous for its monolyte church, one of the largest in France and listed as historical monuments since 1912 and which is also classified in the prettiest villages of France. Unfortunately the road to the church is closed, and you will only have a general view of Aubeterre and its main square.

We take the road by the D17 to quickly arrive in the Dordogne and in the beautiful village of Sainte Aulaye, dominated by its castle (13th and 19th century) which has today become the town hall.

From there we have a beautiful view of its 12th century Saint Eulalie church

To be continued...

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:47 pm

...folowing

We take the D38, then in Echourgnac, the D708 to arrive at Montpon Ménestérol and cross the Dordogne

We take the D708 which crosses beautiful forests

To get to Sainte Foy la Grande and in Gironde. We still continue on the D708 and obviously you come across vines

But in the distance, a typical church stands out,

Come on, let's go see it.

This is the Saint Martin de Margueron church, which is typical of the local churches

To be continued...

Lodein
Last edited by Lodein on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:55 pm

...Folowing

We continue on the same road which becomes the D19 as we enter in the Lot et Garonne, and barely past the border we come across orchards, typical crops of Lot et Garonne.

Well to be honest, there was only one orchard, because we are in the country of Duras where we rather cultivate the vine since we are in the appellation contrôlée of the coasts of Duras, known since François 1er, but that I didn't know ...

But there are plenty of orchards in the Lot et Garonne the proof a little further

If the road spun from time to time, here in the Lot et Garonne, with its very hilly landscapes, the roads twirl around much more as we can guess here

After passing the Dropt river at Sauvetat du Dropt where there is a superb Romanesque bridge, we take the D933 to leave it at Miramont de Guyenne where there is a superb 13th century bastide and take the D667.
We will then take the D13 to arrive at Castelmoron sur Lot.
The 13th century Solar Castle, inspired by the Alhambra in Granada and which is now the Town Hall.

To be continued...

Lodein
Last edited by Lodein on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.