K Reg 827 SLi manual Fastback

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

K Reg 827 SLi manual Fastback

Post by Gludenscrude » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:10 am

Hi,

This is my 827 Sli manual Fastback, it has been in my wife and I's hands for the last 8 years and is now going to be restored/fixed up as it has got to the point where we either spend money or loose him. :)

Good points

We Love Him :D
The Engine : we had the cambelt changed about 3 years ago and apart from the trusty tappet rattle is sound, he just wants to loose me my licence :D

Bad points

Rust on both front and rear wheel arches and at bottom of bootlid
Generally tired appearance
parking dents
Interior shabby, though leather

I have purchased a doner vehicle and that is going to give me the front wings, newer lights, bootlid, and asssorted doors etc.

I have purchased a newer leather interior with memory seats (which we have always wanted) from Peter Simpson (ex Practical Classics Editor) .

I have purchased a new Saloon rear quarter panel to get the passenger wheel arch fixed and I think the drivers side can be ground back and leaded.

I am not going to aim to create a perfect 1993 example as we decided to make the 827 SLi how we would want to buy one, so nothing too extreme, a factory look, but mixing and matching from across the years.

I am also looking to have a good smattering of the optional extras and other goodies, so if anyone has any to spare PM me as I could be interested.

It looks a lot better in the photo's than it does in reality :D but it is well savable
Martin

Rover 827SLi Manual Fastback "K"
Rover 827 Sterling Automatic Fastback "M"
Rover 827 Vitesse Automatic "H"
Toyota Celica Cabriolet "J"

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Nuts4my827 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:57 am

Cruise control is waiting for you..... Not got your address yet etc...

Phil B
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor

Post by Gludenscrude » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi Phil,

Have PMed you, as it looks like my Snail Mail has gone astray :evil:
Martin

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:39 pm

It looks a very good base to bring up to the condition you're after. Keep us posted.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:52 pm

I like the look of the fastback without the rear spoiler, very SD1 in the side profile.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor

Post by Gludenscrude » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Since starting this thread my wife and I have had several changes of heart with the direction that the resto/revamp was going, having put the newer rear seat in place and had it in there for a week or two while I figured out (with the forums help :) ) the wiring between pre and post 96 MkII's front seat we have decided that we want to keep the original seatcovers as the newer ones just wasn't right for our car.

I will still fit the newer seat bases so that we have the memory function, but I will gliptone and redye the original seatcovers and swap them over the first chance I get.

Since last posting I have swapped the better front wings and the newer front bumper, though painted to the original spec of nightfire red and black as we are keeping the black side strip as that again is an intrinsic part of the car as we know it.

Basically it is going to be far more of a restoration now as both my wife and I have agreed we want to keep him pretty original, with that in mind I have also now decided to stick with the original gearlever as well, so if anyone wants a brand new Rover 75 gearknob let me know :D
I will probably recolour the cream gearlever gaiter that I bought when I was going to change the knob to the same colour as the seats and leave it at that.

Funny isn't it how you can have all these ideas to change things but when it comes down to it, you end up prefering what you are used to in the end. I must have thought years that the time might come when I wanted to put K back to original because I have kept his original wheels about five years now, just in case :D
Martin

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor

Post by Gludenscrude » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:01 pm

Last weekend my mate Phil came over for the day and we set to on some of the jobs that have built up.

Phil worked on the front electric seats and I now have working memory seats :D

A couple of weekends ago I swapped the front wings from the donor vehicle and in the process got half way through refurbishing the front bumper and grille. The newer bumper, wings etc are colour coded so I have had to paint the top of the bumper black and the photo below id from before replacing the Chrome trim

While Phil worked on the seats I set to on door swapping and by the end of the day had three on, the drivers side defeated us with different wiring between the pre and post 96 models

and the other side

Image.

So all in all not a bad days work :D
Martin

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor

Post by Gludenscrude » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:15 pm

Since last weekend I have painted and rechromed one side :)

From This

To This

And finally this :)

You can possibly spot in the photo's that during the wing swap I put on smoked side repeaters as I felt with the smoked rears they would look better.

The following evening was try out the gearknob change.

There is a thread where I mentioned I had picked up a Rover 75 gearknob to fit, but in the end I had second thoughts, but I wanted to get away from the BLACK as much as possible, so this is a temporary fix until I recolour all the leather to a slightly darker shade as the later seats are more of a creamy colour than the cars originals, and when I recolour the seats I intend to do some recolouring here as well.

To

The knob is several shades darker than the gaiter but it doesnt really show in the photo. At first I was really unsure, but several days later I am coming to terms with the change :) I am expecting several comments on this one :)
Martin

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:22 pm

How close is the colour match between the later doors and the older car?

Looks very close in the pics?

I'm saying nothing about the gearknob and gaiter apart from I'm glad I don't have to look at it everyday. :lol:
Chris

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor

Post by Gludenscrude » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:27 pm

The match is pretty good, you cant really tell the difference between the bonnet (old) and the wings (new) it shows a bit on the rear arches but they are going to be donored over eventually as well.

but I am hoping to have the whole car resprayed in about a years time, once I am sure I have caught all the rust, and all the mechanicals are sorted.
Last edited by Gludenscrude on Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:50 pm

Looking good. You managed to get the Cruise Control I sent you wired in yet???
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor

Post by Gludenscrude » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:58 am

Hi,

The cruise control is in a box waiting for a free weekend :) I will get there in the end, I must admit I have shown the good side, the other side of the car looks like this :)

The drivers door is next to be in mortal combat with!
Martin

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:20 am

Coming aling nicely
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Gludenscrude
Regular Visitor

Post by Gludenscrude » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:41 am

Saturday 29th August

Today I wanted to swap the tailgate from the doner, but had to give up as a) I was on my own and b) I couldn't figure out how to do it :)

So instead I did a few jobs

I painted and rechrome stripped the drivers side.

I fitted my new Knob, having decided the Rover 75 knob was wrong, I went for a Rover 400 one which I think is pretty near perfect

I also spent some time trying to sort out a "headunit" (radio for us people over 30 :) ) I had a Kenwood D Mask in my old Rover Sd1 VDP that I had fitted unsuccessfully in the Celica, my local garage was supposed to fit it during one of its forays with them, but they blew up the amp and it had never worked (I am usually not that bothered about sounds in the car, saving that for being sat at home with the Hifi) so I got it out of the Celica and found they had completely massacred the wiring.

I have bought on E-bay a later version of the Kenwood that will give me the wiring, metal box etc, and I can at a later stage redo to the newer unit what I have done to my old Kenwood to match (ish :) ) the interior of the 827, as you can see I have been playing with the front of it.

Martin

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:07 am

Have you not thought of using the wood of the centre console out the later car?

Or are you going for originality? I think it would match the gear knob a bit better.

Clever idea on the stereo.
Chris