Dan's 1995 827Si fastback

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

DLR
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dan's 1995 827Si fastback

Post by DLR » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:18 pm

I just realised there was never a thread for this car; all forum action associated with it has been within the 'For Sale' secton - wonder why?

Anyway, here she is - 1995 827Si auto, black, grey interior with dual airbag dash. Manually operated grey leather seats - generic middle-of-the-range 800 really, with some personal touches from previous owners.

Photos from when we first bought her back in 2008:

As can be seen in the last picture the rear light clusters have been swapped for the later smoked ones, but the foglight/reverse light cluster on the bootlid remained.

This evening:

Swapped, courtesy of Vard - something that I've wanted to change on the car for a while, before we sold it first time round.

List of jobs to tidy it up cosmetically, including the door handle and fixing the back window so it works again. Mechanically, service/Cambelt/etc. overdue methinks, but I'll do what I can to the interior/body (the simple stuff :lol: ) and wait until I am on the road in another car before worrying about that.

Thanks for putting up with it for so long - ruddy thing wont disappear :P

Thomas J
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Thomas J » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:49 pm

That stunning mate also that side view just shows how big the 800s really are could you put some interior photos up?
i want lots of british cars got 1 want more

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:16 pm

Very smart. 8)

As soon as I saw the first pic with the wrong rear lights I was going to mention it, no need now. Looks much better.

A rear spoiler would look nice on that IMO.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Very tidy, i'm getting to like the fastbacks without the rear spoiler, looks nice from the side.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:39 pm

I've had an accident...

F*&%ing moped's stand gave way earlier, resulting in a dent/2 inch scratch on the driver's door :( It's not major (well, the dent's not noticeable unless you are looking for it), as the paint has started to fade on the door anyway and is starting to look green again in the light (was originally a green door way back when it first washed up on the forum - on .co.uk I believe?) and this was on the list of things to do, get the paintwork back up to scratch. Gutting that the chinese lump of plastic would befoul the more important vehicle on the driveway, but when I'm sorted again financially in a couple of months time getting the bodywork in order and respraying it was on the list - until then I shall turn it round the other way so I don't have to look at it and feel guilty and a touch stupid! :lol:

Thanks for the comments - Interior shots below (apologies for not tidying the back seat up beforehand).

Again, not the best photos as my camera on my phone is a bit on the awful side...when it's properly cleaned and that I will show her off properly.

The cloth inserts on the doorcards need changing for leather ones imo - I have the rear ones from Vard's Vitesse and after playing with one of the rear ones today it looks better with leather ones, even though they are darker than the grey seats. All I need now is some front ones to complete - are the inserts on their own interchangeable? Would it be easier to just swap the inserts over, as the doorcards are in alright condition. If so, does anybody have a set, either the darker ones from a Vitesse or the lighter grey ones from a Sterling? The cloth armrest also needs replacing with a leather one, if anybody has one knocking about.

The seats are wearing a bit now too - after spending the majority of the last couple of years in daily use as our family car, they're looking a bit tired, front ones especially. Any way of reviving them, or does anybody have grey seats they want to flog?

I'm undecided when it comes to a spoiler - I like it as it is, but I do think that one would suit. However I don't think I'd be comfortable about drilling holes to attach it if I have to, but we shall see what happens in the future.
Last edited by DLR on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitelion58
Rover Guru

Post by whitelion58 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Rover leather usually responds well to TLC.
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1879

Tim
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:06 pm

The panels are interchangeable though the door cards will have to come off to do it. They just have metal strips bent over to hold them in.
Chris

rover2.7
Regular Visitor

Post by rover2.7 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:11 am

yeah thats right what chris said i it seems the same as the 220 i did it on my coupe changed fabric to leather :D
now own a bmw but want a mk 1 sterling!!!!

rover2.7
Regular Visitor

Post by rover2.7 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:13 am

and yeas it does respond well to leather (tlc) lol even the later ones!!
now own a bmw but want a mk 1 sterling!!!!

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:35 am

Shiny-shiny, Dan.

I've just realised, looking at the pics of your interior - I forgot to give you all the fastenings and escutcheons for the doorcards, they're still in my glovebox.

When I've got some fuel, I'll come give them to you.
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi
1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:24 pm

Updated the interior post with pictures in brighter daylight..

Re: leather - as it is held in high regard amongst so many people I will invest in some of the shazzam-in-a-bottle from Tim's thread in the near future. Even better, birthday coming up and people have already asked what I want... :wink:

For reference:

- Drivers seat:

- Passenger seat:

Something else aswell - noticed today the lighter wood around the heater controls, as seen below:

Simple to replace, ie wouldn't involve tearing the dash apart to get to a bolt behind it, as I would like to eventually replace both surrounds with darker wood to complete it and make it match.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:43 pm

The dash surround is a simple job. Look for the screws above the clocks and underneath the pod.

Behind the cover on the left end. Then just prise it way. The wood is held on by nuts. You may need to undo the switches first. Simple really.

Don't forget to remove the heater knobs first as well.
Chris

whitelion58
Rover Guru

Post by whitelion58 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:22 am

Gliptone does a good job for cleaning, softening and restoring the smell of leather.. Those cracks may not respond too well and will probably need the dye product. Was easy to get a match for black, but be careful on the grey!
Cheers
Tim
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:33 pm

You'll probably want to replace those door cards Dan, I say go for he later Sterling ones which have the match the Grey leather inserts to match you seats. I got Vitesse (From a Sterling :? ) ones with darker leather inserts:

whitelion58 wrote:Gliptone does a good job for cleaning, softening and restoring the smell of leather.. Those cracks may not respond too well and will probably need the dye product. Was easy to get a match for black, but be careful on the grey!
Cheers
Tim
Where can you get Gliptone from, I've looked in all the usual places but cant find any?

Thanks,

Lord Sterling

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Lord Sterling wrote:You'll probably want to replace those door cards Dan, I say go for he later Sterling ones which have the match the Grey leather inserts to match you seats. I got Vitesse (From a Sterling :? ) ones with darker leather inserts:
I agree, doorcard inserts are on the list - I've toyed with the rears today, having obtained some of the darker leather ones as seen in your pictures. I think that they are a vast improvement on the grey cloth and the darker colour breaks up the sea of grey; I like the grey interior, but there's only so much grey one can stand. All I need to do is find a full set of leather inserts now, lighter ones from a Sterling or the darker ones from a Vitesse(although I would only need the front two darker ones now, as opposed to a full set of lighter grey ones :P )

Naturally there's no rush for me to do all the jobs though, as yes I may be 17 in a few weeks but I probably wont be driving this car properly for a long while, unless I can get the best part of £4000 together by the time I pass my test. This will be the hobby car most likely, already has me busy in the evenings!