1992 K-reg 827 Coupe (Manual) For Sale

Moderators: guru, SJG

Ian G
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1992 K-reg 827 Coupe (Manual) For Sale

Post by Ian G » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi all...

I'm very reluctantly (99.9% certainly) having to sell my 827 after eight years. It's far from a wreck, but it needs more attention than I can really provide at the moment, and I have the opportunity to buy my brother's 51 plate Ford Focus (excuse my French), which, with cheaper running etc, is pushing me in this direction...

It's currently a non-runner, a fault on the ignition somewhere, it died on the way home from my last trip to Brands and still won't start. Tried and replaced the usual suspects except the igniter, which I'm struggling to get hold of. However, running or not, it may only be a breaker now as rust is setting in around the rear arches and forwards, which could be stupid money to put right!
It's done 133000 miles, despite sporadic servicing it has always run beautifully, and has never failed on me until this recent issue!

Good points:

* Full leather interior, in very good condition - no tears/holes, but a little scuffing on the driver's seat
* All interior electrics are fine bar occasionally iffy driver's side window controls, cd changer currently not registering discs, and driver's seat & mirror adjustment disabled (removed the fuse when a battery drain was discovered, though it works fine..)
* Recent new front exhaust pipe fitted (winter '10/'11)
* Fairly good Pirelli P6000s all round (abt 11k miles on them)
* Alloys in good condition, though a little grubby
* Recent new rear brakes (discs and pads), winter '10/'11

Main issues:

* Rust...

(Trim's missing in this last pic, but not lost, it just came off so kept it in the car...)

* Loose passenger door handle - broken mountings I think

* Mandatory dashboard lift!

* Scratched passenger side mirror cover, cracked glass

As I said, servicing has been a little sporadic, but I have all the MOT tickets for it, and receipts for most major work - tyres, front exhaust pipe etc. Current MOT expires in March, tax until end of Feb.

As for price, ain't got a clue!! All I can say is that I'm close to scrapping it, on account of getting a good chunk of the tax back, especially if I act before the month is out. At a guess, that should see me good for about £250...
I'd much rather it be of use to someone though. If anyone is interested and wants any more details, please let me know, by PM or whatever. But I will need to do something soon...

Cheers!

P.S. Will be away from 7th 'til 12th, so apologies if anything goes unanswered during that time!
Ian

Rover 827 Coupe 1992

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Regarding the running issue, does it turn over and just not fire or not do anything?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Ian G

Post by Ian G » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:38 pm

CHR15E wrote:Regarding the running issue, does it turn over and just not fire or not do anything?
Oh, it turns fine but just won't fire. Roadside recovery chap found no spark, and suggested the coil or dist cap. I've since replaced these, as well as the spark plugs (were overdue) and HT leads. Igniter's my next step... I've checked all obvious wiring and fuses, cleaned up the igniter and condensor mountings, but I'm reluctant to employ someone to test it thoroughly.
Only thing that puzzles me is that it died on route. Just left Brands Hatch, had been a wet day, onto the main road, accelerating away, went for third, and it just 'switched off', no drama or noises. Maybe that points to something?
Ian

Rover 827 Coupe 1992

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:20 pm

Pity about the rust. It can in theory be saved. Mine isnt that bad.

If its taxed or not, there are 26 of these left, 13 Sorned (like mine) and 13 taxed. Not many at all, but as a percentage of the 82 over built, that isnt bad.

I really wish I had the space and time to buy it and repair it. Having enough trouble with mine at the moment. :(

Not as bad as Chris's Stirling yet by a looooong way :D
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:50 pm

I don't suppose one can get quarter panels for these coupes?
Shame because the rest of the body looks sound. I had the same rot areas with my coupe hence why I sold it.

bren
Rover Guru

Post by bren » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:52 pm

have you tried the main relay, i had to resolder mine as it used to play up now and again. car would be fine, then i would come out of say asda and it would not start. wiggled it about and would start and not play up for ages or go the next day. fine after resolder.
its up above the fusebox under the dash.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:12 pm

My money's on the ignitor.

In my experience the main relay failing usually kills the starter.

Where the ignitor allows to turn but not fire.

The thing that occured to me is that there's a car in brum with a dead engine and this one that in theory could be running again.

Seems like an opportunity to make a good one IMO.
Chris

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Post by threelitre » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:52 am

The starter will run when the main relay gives the usual fault. The main difference is:
- with a broken igniter there will be fuel but no ignition
- with a broken main relay there will (in most cases) be no fuel but ignition.

It should be the igniter in this case.

Regards,

Alexander
More cars then sense.... :)

bren
Rover Guru

Post by bren » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:56 pm

sounds about right, when it used to happen on the vitesse I would come out to the car and she would just turn over as if there was no fuel in the car. as i said i found out it was that by wiggling it and the car then started ( very technicle i know :lol: but it got the car going ) after resolder no more problems. the igniter was fine i sold that not long back actually, went to germany.
there was an N reg the same colour as this , also a manual that went to the crusher last summer :cry: nothing wrong with it either. i was going to get the car and then my brother inlaw offered me my sterling. but after selling he missed the coupe and so he bought the 2.7 manual coupe. he took off the lowering kit, Nos and all the junk that was fitted and got it looking lovely. body work was mint. he then sold it as his mate was desperate for a reliable car. the so called mate then traded it in for a kia people carrier using the scrappage scheme. I was not a happy camper as i had given him a mint set of 17s, there was a s/steel system on it and the car was lovely to drive.
what a waste.

Ian G

Post by Ian G » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Cheers guys, I appreciate all your help! I'll have a closer look at the igniter on the car next week, and try and source a spare.

However, even if I had it running tomorrow, I don't think it's going to really change the material value of the car. It's certainly not a write-off, and I'm still trying to weigh up the option of keeping it, but the corrosion is significant and could be financially prohibitive to put right. I don't have the means to keep it off the road either, which would buy me some time...

The biggest irony is that out of the necessity of searching for a solution I've stumbled upon this forum, and I'm finding a hard decision being made harder!

And now the voices start... "Keep it, keep it, keep it..."!

Major brainthink ahead...
Ian

Rover 827 Coupe 1992

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Post by threelitre » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:32 pm

bren wrote:[...]the igniter was fine i sold that not long back actually, went to germany.
Yep, to me :) And the Vitesse it has been fitted to still works fine. It has been out to its second rally to Barcelona and back this year (after last years stunt to Barcelona and then Istanbul)

Regards,

Alexander
More cars then sense.... :)

bren
Rover Guru

Post by bren » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:47 pm

thats great news, glad i was able to help.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 pm

threelitre wrote:The starter will run when the main relay gives the usual fault. The main difference is:
- with a broken igniter there will be fuel but no ignition
- with a broken main relay there will (in most cases) be no fuel but ignition.

It should be the igniter in this case.

Regards,

Alexander
Mine must have been an unusual fault then. :lol:
Chris

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:44 pm

For someone with reasonable metal working skills that doesn't appear to be too tough a job - but it is almost certainly "beyond economic repair" if you were paying someone to fix it.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Re: 1992 K-reg 827 Coupe (Manual) For Sale

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Ian's parents this morning in mid Wales. The car is now in my yard awaiting a ruddy good wash, service and check over.

Thanks Ian and sorry it took so long to collect it from you. Pleuresy, hospitalisation and severe pneumonia play havoc with promises and timetables.

Your mom has the money, by the way. No good asking your dad for it. :lol:

I now have 10 800 Coupes and I am looking at a couple more this week, if time allows. Well, why not? :oops:

Brad
No longer an 800 owner!